The Golden Bracelet

In your past life, you were cursed by The Evil Queen with a bracelet. A gold chain wrapped loosely around your wrist that you could never take off. In Storybrooke, and of course during the curse, you still had the bracelet, and even after Regina turned good, she apologized and said that she couldn't reverse the spell. She said only true love can break the curse. But, if you start falling in love with someone, the bracelet was cursed so that it will glow with such an intense heat it burns your skin, tightening it around you. That's how it's always been for you. Or, as long as you could remember. It's been a year since the curse of Storybrooke was broken, and you did what you've always done. Keep people away from you. 

You couldn't risk it. You were afraid of being close to people because you knew what would happen. Pain. Searing pain just tightening more and more into your flesh. What made your curse even worse to bear was Killian Jones. Ever since he came into Storybrooke, he's tried to chat with you like you were old friends. And you were, you both met in the Neverworld when Emma and Snow were stuck in the Enchanted Forest. You were stuck in a sleeping curse and Hook volunteered to go into a sleeping curse to communicate with Henry for Emma, but he didn't expect to meet you instead. That's it. You haven't seen him until he came into Storybrooke with Cora. Every time he stepped anywhere near you, you walked away. You don't say anything, you just walked out of there like your life depended on it. And in a way, it did. 

The night was cold, and you sat alone at the counter of Granny's Diner, waiting for Ruby once they closed up. You watched the sky outside the window and sighed, absentmindedly playing with the tight golden chain around your wrist. You suddenly blink in shock when someone sat down next to you.

"Lonely, love?" Killian grinned, his body turned to you, his arm leaning against the counter as he tilted his head with interest.

Almost instantly, you start putting on your jacket and packing your purse, "Not really. Have a good night," you rushed out as you got up and look over your shoulder, "Ruby, I'm heading out!"

You head out the door, the bell ringing behind you as you step out into the cold. Hook just stays where he's sitting, pondering as he stared at his fingers. It bugged him how this one girl, who he met in the Neverworld, was now avoiding him ever since he followed Mary Margaret and Emma into Storybrooke. He was intrigued by you, and he'd at least like to be friends with you, but you've been making it nearly impossible for anyone to get close to you!

He decided to keep trying, and gets up to follow you outside. He runs after you to catch up, out of breath as he cuts you off by standing in front of you, stopping you at the sidewalk.

"Darling, why are you avoiding me?" His panting breath clinging to the night air with that desperate look in his eye.

"It's none of your business!" You suddenly snapped, slightly annoyed as you walked around to pass him.

"Listen, I know this isn't the real you." He starts as he walks at your heels, "When you and I were stuck in the burning room together-!"

"It's called the Neverworld."

"You were open about everything and talked about anything with me. You said you liked talking to me."

"Trust me. You don't want to talk to me." You assured harshly.

"Well, let me be the judge of that!" Killian grabs your arm, making you spin back around, "Are you afraid of something, love? Are you afraid of me?"

"No!" You gritted your teeth, your tone almost disgusted with something, "I'm afraid of my curse!"

You both pause, his grip loosening on your arm so you quickly pull away, but didn't run as you both locked eyes. Your wide eyes complimented Hook's confused look.

"What?"

You huff and roll up your right sleeve to show the gold chain Killian had noted that you never took off.

"In the Enchanted Forest, I was a thief. I was even better than Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I was the best thief and I let that get to my head and boost my ego. I challenged myself to steal from the most well-guarded and evil people...the Evil Queen being one of them. My confidence finally stabbed in the back one day and I got caught. Instead of killing me...Regina cursed me."

You held out the bracelet, "She cursed me for as long as I wore this chain, I will never be capable of loving someone. And if I tried, the bracelet will tighten and burn into my skin...and I can never take it off. Only an act of true love can break my curse, and giving the fact that true love is the reason why I can't take this damn thing off, I'd say it's near impossible to be free of this. Believe me, Regina's tried to undo the curse, but once the curse is in motion, there's no going back..."

Killian slowly walks up to you, never taking his eyes off your cursed and beaten wrist. He gently grabs your arm and brings it up to his face to examine the cursed jewelry. It was made of pure gold but visibly crusted with magic. He gazes underneath it to see the burnt scars over your skin that ran from your wrist to a little bit up your arm. The scars had raised skin and some caved in so deep. Some even looked fresh.

"I see you've tried to love regardless of your curse," he spoke gently.

You tried pulling your wrist away from his grip, avoiding eye contact, "Of course. These scars come from the love of a mother."

Killian can feel the corners of his lips tug into a small smile, "You never told me you were a mother."

You hum, "Yes...I was."

He doesn't push the subject, knowing your choice of words indicated you no longer had a child. He watched your broken face with a sad look, "I'm sorry," he looks back to the scars on your wrist still in his hand, changing the subject, "Although, this scar is fairly new. Care to share why that is?"

Your face turns red as you lower your gaze to look at the ground, watching your own feet shift nervously, "I felt something for someone I haven't felt in a long time. I was scared of being hurt, or me hurting him."

Killian steps closer to you, finally allowing your wrist to be lowered from his gaze, "I would never hurt you, love..." He whispered once he dipped his head to your ear.

You sucked in a sharp breath and stared up at him, tears in your eyes, "I know."

And he could tell you weren't lying. He leaned down halfway, leaving it for you to fill in the gap. You hesitate, afraid you would get burned by the contact, then risked the chance by leaning up and kissing his lips that immediately kissed you back. Suddenly, the pain goes away as his hand reached up and cupped the back of your neck for better support.

You break away, gasping at the cool air suddenly hitting your crushed wrist then you look down. You stare in shock and delight as you watched the bracelet melt away and disappear right before your very eyes. It broke into pieces and flew into the air, only leaving the few scars left behind. Tears of joy ran down your face and Hook brushed them all away with a sincere smile on his face. He knew he could save you, he just didn't know if would let him. He takes your chin in his fingers and kissed your temple, his eyes closed in delight while the scent of your hair filled his nose.

"True love's kiss can break any curse, including ones that involve love as the punishment."

You let out a small giggle, wrapping your arms around his neck with his hand trailing down to the small of your back. You look up at him through your eyelashes while you kissed his mouth again,

"Thank you for proving so to me, Killian. True love has no boundary."