Heaven

UNEDITED CHAPTER TEN [2]

       "Dad?" Nathan called out, but he got no answer. "Dad? You home?" he called again. He must still be at work. Nathan turned to look at Bree, whom was standing with her arms clutched around her. Her body shivered slightly with each breathe she took in and let out.

       "You can dry off in the bathroom," Nathan said to her, holding his hand out, waiting for his empty hand to be filled with hers. He could have let her follow behind him with his hands clutching Tulip, but he wanted an excuse to touch her. It was like wanting to touch someone's hair to feel how soft it was, or something; he's seen Bree, and he's smelled her before, and revealing her to another sense of his would only fulfill the abrupt need that burnt in the pit of his stomach.

       Bree, though hesitantly, took his hand and followed him up the stairs.

       It wasn't the type of hand-holding where he held her hand; he just held her fingers. He wasn't bold enough to actually pull more of her hand into his. Still, her fingers were soft and smooth. They curled around his fingers, almost like the way a child would grip your hand. His thumb grazed her knuckles, and while her thumb laid still at the back of his hand.

       He knew he had to let go first in order for the whole situation to not be weird. It seemed weird already, but he didn't want to push too far past the line.

       "You can use the towel to dry off," Nathan said as he held the bathroom door open for her. "Do you need anything? Something to wear other than those wet clothes?"

       Bree shook her head.

       "It's okay."

       Nathan gave her one last look-over before nodding curtly and closing the bathroom door. His eyes fell on the once again asleep Tulip. His clothes were damn, so he went into his room, making sure he locked his door. He placed Tulip on his bed, then went over to rummage through his closet for something to wear.

       Rummage. Rummage. Rummage.

       Nervous. Nervous.
       Ner-
       vous.

       Gray sweaters were cool, right?

       Tulip had woken up and was meowing loudly, trying to get Nathan's attention. He went through his book bag, which he had thrown on the bed beside Tulip, and took out a can of cat food his mother had given him.

       "C'mere," he said, scooping Tulip into his arms again.

       "Whenever you're done in there, just come downstairs," he said to Bree who was quiet in the bathroom.

       "Alright," she replied in a quiet voice.

       Nathan breathed out, feeling his heart racing. Bree was in his bathroom. He tried to tell himself that she was just a girl, but she really wasn't. He couldn't quite understand how he was feeling at the moment, so he decided to put all his energy into making Tulip feel welcome in her new (temporary) home.

       "Stay here," he said, putting her on the kitchen floor. Quickly, he took a small, clean bowl and set it on the counter top. He glued one eye on Tulip while the other aided in his search for a can opener.

       "Meow," said Tulip as she followed Nathan's every movement with her eyes.

       "Be patient," Nathan answered her cry.