Alive

Unedited Chapter Six [2]

       She smiled as if it meant nothing: she smiled as if they were just words, words that weren't meant to get a reaction, and they didn't, because Bree and Neil had now entered the car, and Nathan kept his mouth shut over their laughter.

       "Here," Neil said, throwing a bad over at Nathan. It had two t-shirts inside, and... swimming shorts?

       "Since your presence was rather impromptu, had to get you stuff," he explained rather vaguely.

       "We're going swimming?" Nathan asked.

       "Well, we're going somewhere, and swimming is involved," Bree smiled. There was a look of excitement in her eyes.

       "Neil, why'd you tell her?!" Kat looked disappointed.

       "Sorry, Kat," Bree giggled. "I begged him to tell me, and you know... he had no other choice." Nathan heard the exaggerated sound of a wet kiss, probably on his cheek, because he was laughing way to hard.

       "Camp Hayuka is my favorite place in the entire world!" Bree almost screamed it at the top of her lungs before falling over unto Neil.

       "I know," he said, then everything was silent for a few seconds. Nathan knew what they were doing, and he felt his stomach clench tightly; it was even more awkward with Kat glancing over at him every two seconds.

       Camp Hayuka: Nathan had never been there before, but the minute he stepped out of the car and looked out across the horizon, he fell in love with the view

       Camp Hayuka: Nathan had never been there before, but the minute he stepped out of the car and looked out across the horizon, he fell in love with the view. He saw a flock of birds flying to the east. It was green all over, and it smelled all... nature-y. There was a welcome sign, but it was broken and rusted, covered in vines.

       With yellow tape all around it, and a big, fat CLOSED sign.

       "They closed it down two years ago," Kat answered his unspoken question.

       "So... why are we here?"

       "Because, it's my baby's favorite place, and it's for her."

       The sudden reality check by Neil hit him at the back of his head. Initially, this was supposed to be a surprise for Bree for her and King Kong's 'second year anniversary'. He shouldn't be nagging them. Even Kat didn't seem okay with it, but she went along with everything.

       Six years ago, she wouldn't have. Six years ago, she would have screamed to her father that Nathan was trying to sneak into an abandoned playground that wasn't all that harmless. He remembered being grounded for three weeks for trying to pull that stunt. He didn't talk to her for three full days until she came to visit him with her cookie surprise.

       She was an excellent baker, and the minute he'd smell the fresh chocolate chips with extra chocolate chip, he'd forget he was ever angry with her. That was Kat's bribe, but bribe's don't always work out in the long run. Look at her now: desperate to get the attention of the boy that had cut the string that kept them close.