Sunshine

Unedited Chapter Five[2]

       "Took you long enough," Kat said, throwing her arm lazily around Nathan's shoulders as he stepped out unto the porch.

       "Are you two... a thing?" Bree asked, looking at her friend weirdly. Nathan scoffed at her and shrugged Kat's arm off of him.

       "Let's just get a move on. I don't wanna be late," he said, looking right at Kat. It was already ten minutes past eight. Riding to school with these two was enough worry for him, but he just could not afford to arrive school late, especially with Kat and Bree. Especially Kat.

       She, as far as he knew from all the whispers he kept overhearing (they weren't really whispers), had a tainted reputation at school: other students thought she was cool, while the teachers thought she was a hot-headed brat with a knack for portraying how much of a loose young woman she was.

       Katherine Wilder? Loose? Maybe not back in the day, but now—Nathan watched as she ambled towards her car, jingling her keys in her hand; she was humming something, her lips pressed into a tight smile—he couldn't vouch for her.

       Nathan got into the backseat, and so did Bree. She pulled her hair back into a bun, then looked over at him and smiled.

      "So, Nathan, how come I've never heard about you?" Bree asked. Nathan stared at her pink lips as they moved. She wasn't wearing that much makeup today, but it was just enough for her took look just like Kat.

       "How am I supposed to know?" he answered, not really bothering to look at either of them; he rummaged in his bag for his trusty earphones. Loud music should help him ignore Miss Bipolar and Miss Lip Locker.

       Out of his peripheral vision, he saw Bree lean forward and began to whisper something to Kat. His thumb clicked on the volume button, and each time they laughed, they became muted by the sound of drums and electric guitar. He leaned back in his seat and looked out the window as everything familiar passed him by.

       Then he saw things that weren't familiar pass him by, he quirked up, his head snapping into the direction of Kat.

       "You weren't supposed to take this corner," he pointed out, tugging his earphones out.

       "Pfft, um, yes," Kat answered.

       "Kat," Nathan said in a low, growling voice. "Where are you taking me?" He thought it would be crazy if she and her friend her were kidnapping him, but Kat wasn't capable of that. It wasn't a joke, and she knew that very well.
       Nathan looked over at Bree, who had a worried expression on her face. When she saw Nathan looking, it changed quickly into a cool smile. She didn't know where Kat was going either.

       "Kat I'm not kidding. I have to get to school," Nathan continued. Kat ignored him and came to an uneasy stop in front of No Parking Sign.

       "Get in the front," she ordered, turning back to look at him. "C'mon, hurry," she said, impatiently patting the empty passenger seat in front.

       "Why?" Nathan asked, shrugging his shoulders. Kat shot him a dirty look before looking over at the house to their right. She bit her lip and turned towards Nathan, "Come on. He'll wanna sit with Bree when he gets here."

       Nathan got out and reluctantly took his place in front, just in time to see King Kong trotting towards them. He had on a gray hoodie and dark blue joggers, his duffle bag slung over his shoulder. He carelessly made his way into the backseat, and his hands were immediately caressing every inch of Bree's squirming body. She was giggling, and Nathan was gagging.

       "Close the door, dammit. Let's get a move on," Kat rushed the couple.

       Nathan tried to avoid any eye-contact with the new male company, but his desire to be invisible was not met, as Neil decided to question Kat about his presence, in the most embarrassing way possible.

       "Is he your new chew toy?"

       Kat's eyes nearly popped out of her head, but she covered up her shock with the most annoying, high pitched laugh. It made Nathan flinch in fright.

       "No, this is my friend, Nathan. He'll be joining us today," Kat said with a smile.

       "Oh, friend!" Neil laughed.

       Nathan felt disgusted. How could Kat tolerate him implying such things about her?
       Maybe they were true, Nathan didn't know for sure, but what he did know was that he could not stand another minute in the car with these three.

       Giggles came from the backseat, and Kat turned up the radio and bobbed her head along to some pop song that was playing. Nathan had no idea where we were going, and from the new conversation sparking behind me, neither did Bree.

       "Where are you taking us?" Bree asked quietly. Nathan glanced at them from the rear view mirror, and saw her snuggled up close under his arm. His hand sat right on her thigh, while the other hung around her shoulder.

       "Today's a special day for us, baby," he said, smiling down at her. His smile turned into a smirk, and he leaned over, forcing his lips unto hers. She had no choice but to give in. She was so small under him.

       Kat glanced over at Nathan, who now had his eyes staring coldly at the dashboard. She went to say something, but Neil's loud voice cut her off.

       "What are you two love birds up to?" he asked. Nathan didn't bother checking whether he was smiling or smirking or had any clothes on. He ignored him. He ignored Bree, chuckling in the background, and he ignored Kat when she spoke up.

       "Well, we won't be doing anything you two might do," Kat laughed.

       "I should be in Biology right now," groaned Nathan.

       "And I should be in Hawaii with my aunt Mona right now. We don't always get what we want, now, do we?" Kat shot back.

       "Hey, guys, don't fight," Neil became the pacifier. "Nolan, right?" He didn't give him time to answer, "Lighten up. We're going to have fun today!" Neil had a broad, white tooth smile on his face. It didn't help that he had dimples to show off; Bree slung her arms lazily around his shoulder and kissed his cheek.

       Bitterly, Nathan tore his eyes away from them and back at the road ahead of them. Wherever they were going, he most definitely knew it was not going to be good for him, at least.

-------------

I'D LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN READING THIS SO FAR! THANK YOU FOR 800 READS IN THIS LITTLE BOOK OF MINE, AND THANK YOU FOR 200+ VOTES AND COMMENTS! I CAN SURELY FEEL ALL THE LOVE!

asdfghjk; i'm listening to all the music i used to back when I was twelve.... Blood On the Dance floor.... CRINGE! But stuff like Get Scared and Good Charlotte are getting me in my mood now xD

Oh, I have a question: Which band/singer gets you in a good mood?