Chapter 13: Scarlet

"So there's no sign of her?" I ask Margaret when me and Mum arrive at my old home. Margaret frowns.

"We've done the best we can to find her, the police are on the job now," she answers. I chew my fingernails, trying to stop myself from crying. My best friend suddenly went missing. No one has any idea where she is, or if she's even alive anymore. 

A single tear rolls down my cheek, and I quickly wipe it away before anyone can see. I look down at the ground, tapping my foot softly on the wooden floor boards, trying to distract myself. Katy and Margaret keep talking about the events of the last few days, but I'm not listening to a single word that they're saying. How could I? There are so many thoughts rushing through my mind.

"Do you, Scarlet?" I hear Mum say. I look up at her and ask, "What did you say, sorry? I wasn't exactly zoned in." Mum rubs my back and says, "Do you want to go and find your friends? Like Charlie and Amelia?"

I nod my head and scuttle away, down the stairs and into my old room, where Amelia is sitting on the bed, sketching the bird that is sitting on the window ledge. 

"Hey," I say. She looks up and a smile spreads across her face.

"Scarlet!" she exclaims. "I've missed you so much! How was the tour? Was it fun? Did you get to go shopping? Was it the most exciting thing ever?" I smile. "I'm not sure if I remember all the questions you just asked me, but if you want I'll just tell you everything." 

"Yes please!" she exclaims. I take a seat on her bed and tell her everything. And by everything, I mean everything. By the end of the story Amelia's smile is even bigger, and my voice is hurting. She gives me a big hug. 

"It sounds amazing," she says. I answer, "I know. I just wish you could be there. And Charlie, and Ava, and.... Mel." 

There is a long silence before Amelia gives me another hug. A few tears stream down onto my T-shirt, and soon both Amelia and I are sobbing. Finally, we wipe the tears away from our eyes and give each other one more hug. 

And then Mia walks in. She flips her hair over her shoulder and glares at me. 

"Mum doesn't like you, hey Scarlet?" Kaitlin and her giggle. Then Kaitlin says, "Maybe you're too ugly." They giggle a little more.

I roll my eyes. "I look better then you too, Miss Plastic and Miss Follower." They glare at me. Then Mia says, "So dork, why are you here. I bet Jess hated you." I reply, "Actually she loves me, and I love her, and we came back here because she knew that I wanted to see my friends. She's caring. Do you even know what that means?" Mia rolls her eyes and she obviously can't think of a comeback because she walks out of the room, Kaitlin hot on her heels.

I laugh. "I love it when she can't think of a comeback." Amelia giggles and replies, "Same. It's so funny."

We walk outside to the soccer field, where Charlie and Zach are having a quick kick. "Charlie! Zach!" I exclaim. I rush towards them and Charlie's face lights up. I give Charlie a hug and Zach a high five. 

"It's so good to see you!" yells Charlie. I yell back, "It's so good to see you too!" He asks me about the tour and how my new Mum is going. I say to him everything that happened and he smiles. "I'm staying here for another hour or two," I say. 

"Cool," he says. "Want a kick?" I nod my head, and so does Amelia. Zach puts his foot on the ball and crosses his arms. 

"Boys verses girls," he smirks. I nod my head. "Bring it on."

Of course Zach thinks that he'll smash us. He'll be soooo disappointed when he loses.

We start. Amelia kicks the ball to me and I dribble it down the field. Then I pass it back to her and she kicks a goal. We cheer and I give her a high five.

Zach says, "Beginners luck." He looks pretty angry that we got the first goal. It's the boys turn to start now. Zach kicks the ball to Charlie and Charlie kicks it back. Then when Zach is going to kick it to Charlie again, I run up and stop the ball. Then we get a goal!

We play for about half an hour and the end score is 10 - 4 our way. 

Amelia and I squeal and give each other a high five. Zach looks disappointed but Charlie is smiling. "Great job girls," he says. Zach doesn't say anything, he just rolls his eyes and walks inside. We follow him in.

I walk up the stairs to check on Margaret and mum. They are having coffee in the office. It looks like they have really become best friends now. Mum sees me and smiles. "How's it going?" she asks. I smile and say, "Good. Amelia and I just smashed Charlie and Zach in soccer. Zach's not too happy." Mum laughs. "What was the score?" she asks. I answer, "10 - 4." Mum, Margaret and I talk for a bit longer and then I go to find my friends again. I soon run into Charlie, Amelia and Ava.

"Ava!" I exclaim. I give her a hug. "It's good to see you again!" 

Ava replies, "It's nice to see you too, Scarlet!" 

After a couple of minutes of talking we all go down to the eating room and ask for some fruit. When we have our snacks we sit down at a table and talk. Then mum comes down with Margaret.

"Come on missy, it's time to go," says Mum. I nod my head and say goodbye to my friends. 

We walk out the door and hop into our car. We drive back home and when we get into the house I run to see Butters.

"Hey little guy!" I say as I rub his head. He gives me a big lick on the cheek and the hand. I play with him until it's time for dinner. After dinner Mum says I can have Butters in my bed tonight, so I lift him up and climb in, and in less then 10 minutes we are both fast asleep.

I know I haven't updated in ages I sort of forgot about writing... I'll try to update a little quicker. Bye :)