Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Jenna’s POV

Where r u? Lei texted me. I bit at another piece of bacon and wandered up the stairs to the guest room.

I’m not gunna b at skool today. I texted back.

Once I made it to Uncle Leo’s room, I slowly pushed opened the door and peered inside. He was still asleep on his stomach. I laughed at how funny he looked.

Suddenly, my phone started to vibrate and I was afraid it would wake him up. But fortunately, it didn’t.

He’s such a heavy sleeper!

I looked at my phone and read the new text message that Lei had sent to me. Why not?

Just don’t feel like going, I replied. Actually, I’m not going because I don’t want to face Daniel. Not only because I’m kind of embarrassed to see him after what happened over the weekend, but because the next time I see him I’ll probably beat him into a bloody pulp.

I tucked my phone into my back pocket and advanced towards Leo’s bed. Leaning in towards him, I waved what I had left of my piece of bacon over his nose.

His nose wrinkled as the scent hit it and to my surprise, Uncle Leo’s mouth opened and swallowed up my bacon whole.

I gasped and pulled away, wiping my hand on my pajama shorts. “Ew, you got your slobber on my fingers. That’s gross.”

His chuckle echoed throughout the room as he sat up, swinging his bare legs over the side of the bed. “That’s some great bacon. You got some more?”

I rested my chin in my palm as I watched Uncle Leo gobble up all of the bacon I had made for the both of us. When he moved on to the pancakes, he shut his eyes as if savoring the taste of them.

“Why’d you make me breakfast?” He suddenly asked me.

“Because I’m a good niece.”

He laughed. “That was funny. Now tell me the truth.”

I punched his arm. “I am a good niece, you jerk.”

He reached over and ruffled my hair. I angrily pushed it away. “I’m kidding. You’re good…when you want to be.”

“Exactly.”

“But there’s something wrong here. Something…Oh!” He exclaimed. “You’re supposed to be at school.”

“I don’t have school today.” I said innocently.

“Yes you do. Don’t lie to me, Jen.” He said and continued on his pancakes. “These are really good.”

“Yep. You like them, don’t you? You like them so much that you won’t force me to go to school?” I asked hopefully.

“Nope.” He said with his mouth full. “Now go get ready.”

I rolled my eyes and jumped off of my seat on the counter. “Fine.” I said. Before he could get another bite, I pulled away the plate from the counter. “Then you get no more pancakes.”

I was scowling all the way to school. Stupid Leo. Maybe if he wouldn’t have shown up at the doorstep, I wouldn’t be forced to go to school even if I didn’t want to. But I have to admit that I appreciate him forcing me to go to school in a way…

By the time I made it to my locker, it was almost noon meaning lunch was about to start. I stuffed my skateboard into my locker and shut it close.

“See you decided to show up.”

I turned around to find Lei behind me with her arms crossed over her chest.

“Not really. Uncle Leo forced me so...”

“You could have told me. We would’ve ditched together.” She told me.

“I’m sorry. It’s just after yesterday, I…” I trailed off when Daniel walked passed us. He didn’t even look at me once and I don’t think he planned to until Lei called out his name.

He turned to us with an obvious fake smile on his face. “Hey, Lei. Jenna.” He said before continuing on his way to the lunchroom.

I frowned at his retreating back and turned back to Lei who was looking at me with an eyebrow raised. “What’s going on between you two? Did you two have sex?”

I blushed and slapped a hand to her mouth. “No!” I exclaimed and pulled her into the nearest girls bathroom. When we got in, I shut the door and locked it. I went down the row of stalls and checked under each one, relieved that no one was in here.

“Why would you think that we slept with eachother?” I asked her.

“I don’t know. It was the first thought that came to mind.” She said me, shrugging.

“Well, we didn’t. We just kissed.” I told her. “Twice.”

“I knew it! I knew you two liked eachother!” She squealed.

“We do not like eachother, Lei. It was just two stupid kisses. It meant nothing.”

“If it was just two stupid kisses, then why did you and Daniel just have that awkward moment?” She asked.

“Because the first time we kissed, I told him it meant nothing and that it was a mistake. Then the second time, he did the same to me but, in a way, mocking what I said before.” I explained all in a rush while running a hand through my hair.

“Oh, you hurt him.”

“What?”

“You hurt his feelings, J.” She repeated. “You can’t just kiss someone and say it meant nothing when it probably meant something to the person you actually kissed! It’s in the guidebook.”

“What guidebook?” I asked. “Don’t tell me it’s the one that you made up.”

“It is! It’s the guidebook for every relationship!”

I rolled my eyes and grinned. “Okay, so what you’re saying is that the kiss might’ve meant something to Daniel? Right?”

“Exactly.”

“I doubt that.”

“And why’s that?”

“He doesn’t like me, Lei. I just know that.”

“Well, we’ll just have to find out, right?” She said. “Kane’s having another party at his house on Wednesday since his parents are leaving for some trip. We’ll go and then we’ll see if Daniel likes you or not.”

“Fine.”