Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Jenna’s POV

“Thanks.” Daniel told the clerk and took the cash from him. He handed me some of it. “We got eight hundred and fifty dollars. So four twenty five for you.”

I nodded and stuffed the money in my pocket.

Silently, we made our way back to the car and slipped in. I waited for him to switch on the ignition but he never did. Instead, he turned to look at me.

“Jenna, we should talk.”

 I kept my eyes outside the window. “There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Yes there is. About the kiss—“

I cut him off, still not looking at him. I really didn’t want to even talk about what happened. It was totally embarrassing, but felt oddly too good for words. But I really can’t get into a relationship right now. Especially with what’s going on with my mom. Right now, she’s my top priority. “It meant nothing. Just drive, okay?”

Rolling his eyes, he turned back around in his seat and started the car. “You’re right. It meant nothing.”

I flinched a bit when he said that, but covered it up quickly as I sunk back further into my seat. I should be happy he said that. Right? “Good.”

I pulled at the bottom of the black cocktail dress I had on that refused to stay down. By how much it rises, it would eventually show off my underwear. Way to go Jenna for borrowing Lei’s dress. You’re such a smart person, I scolded myself.

With a soft sigh, I kissed my mother’s forehead and quietly shut her door behind me. I nearly screamed when the doorbell rang, echoing loudly through the house. I knew Lei was supposed to be coming soon, but right now? It’s only been maybe a good two minutes since I called her and told her that I was ready.

I put my hand on the doorknob, preparing myself for the squeals and hugs she was about to give me because of how I looked in her dress since I rarely dress up like this.

I pulled open the door and was rather surprised when I didn’t see Lei.

Instead I saw…

“Uncle Leo?” I asked in complete confusion. “What are you doing here?”

“Hey Jen.” Without asking me if he could come in or not, he slipped past me and into the house. I shut the door and turned to him. He looked around the place, nodding every once in a while in satisfaction.

“Uncle Leo!” I called again.

He turned towards me, his green eyes finding mine as a smile broke onto his face. “I’m here to take care of you.”

“Seriously?” I asked, frowning at him. “So, you just happen to appear six years after my dad died and come to me and say, ‘hey! I’m here to take care of you’? Do you have nowhere else to go now, is that it? Is this you’re last resort?”

“Okay. It’s true. I don’t have anywhere to live right now. I lost my job, my apartment—“

I crossed my arms over my chest. “That’s not my problem.”

Uncle Leo rubbed the back of his neck and took a deep, slow breath. “Come on, Jenna.”

“I think you should leave.”

“Would your dad want you to kick me out? Leave me to fend for myself?” He asked.

“No. But he would just have to deal with that, right?” I told him and pulled open the door. “Go. Seriously. I mean it.”