14 - Getting A Move On

I grab the gun out of Parker's hand and stash it in my pocket.

"Go home, Parker," I quietly say.

"And what if I don't?" He retorts.

"You were here for one reason and now we don't need you anymore!" I yell and throw a book at the wall next to him.

He nods slowly, "I will be back..." And he walks in the portal.

Joanne jumps, "guys! He just walked into the portal!"

"So? Look we'll sleep on it, we have to figure out a way to get Dani in the portal, we'll figure it out tomorrow, good night," Elana walks up the stairs.

I lightly shrug my shoulders and walk upstairs but I accidentally step over a book,

Hybrids

I open the book up and read a page.

"Hybrids affected by the purple eyes have 48 hours to get an antidote or else it becomes permanent..." I slowly read it out, "oh no," I look up.

***

Later that night...

"Hey Dani," I hear Elana sit down next to me.

I flip the page in the book and chuck it to the pile of books next to me, I couldn't tell anyone about Jayden's hybrid side, but I had to help him. Normal vampires have a year but he has 48 hours!

"Yes?" I exhale.

"You know, someone has to go in the portal. And you have to as well.." says Elana.

"Isn't there a way to remove the scars?" I ask.

"I.. Don't know," she sighs.

I stand up and look behind me at the lit portal.

Elana stands behind me, "either way, even if we can't remove the scars-- you have to make a choice sooner or later," she says.

"No," Joanne walks up behind us.

"Huh?" We turn around.

"If Danielle walks in that portal, not only will she get the permanent scars... But what if we don't succeed? We'll have full blooded vampires running after us, we'll be affected by the purple eyes too," she says.

While they're talking, I was in deep thought. I walk closer to the portal, then I look behind me and walk up the stairs.

I've made my choice. Tayliah and Jayden would stay permanently in that portal if I don't make a choice fast, especially Jayden, he had 2 days.

***

Everyone had gone to sleep. I get up and out of my bed and I walk down to the basement. The portal was still lit and without hesitation I walk through it.A flash of white fills the room and the house.

Joanne wakes up and runs downstairs, "Elana! Melia! Get down here!"

***

The first thing I see is trees, then a dark grey path leading up to a volcano.. There were no scars on my hands, maybe Joanne had misread it. I look up at the volcano and I knew that had to be Jacob's lair. All I need is the book, Jayden and Tayliah, then I can get out of here and fix them.

"Come for the book?" I turn around and Jayden was holding the book that Jacob had stolen from us.

"Jayden-- give the book..." I step closer.

"Take one step closer and I'll throw this book in the void," he says as he threatens to throw it off the edge.

"Don't you wanna be saved?" I sadly look at him.

"This is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I don't need saving," he growls.

I turn around and Jacob was standing there. All of a sudden I feel a flush of weakness and I realised why, I was low on blood. I hadn't eaten in a long time.

"Looking for one of these?" He asks holding a blood bag.

"How did you know I was hungry?" I weakly look up at him.

"Oh please, a monkey could spot that you're weak," he cackles.

I glance at Jayden holding the book, then back at Jacob with the blood bag.

Jacob laughs and throws it at the ground in front of me, "here."

I hesitantly grab it from the ground and begin to drink it, it tasted weird.

I cough it up, "what is this!?" I spit it out.

"Non other than spiritual blood," he smiles.

I feel the blood drip from my lips and I hold onto the ground for support.

Jayden's grip tightens on the book.