Chapter Twenty Four: She walked away

Lance drove me to a facility a few hours outside of Albany.  Metal sheeting that held the walls were crusted with rust. The roof was falling apart and the shutters were holding by only a thread. Lance opened the rickety old door, and it's squeak shrieked through the empty place. Broken concrete scattered on the floor with moss growing around it. Rodents cowered and scurried across the cracked ground. 

We approached the brick wall. Lance moved a small wall of vines to expose a sliver elevator. As we descended downwards, my ears began to pop from the pressure. The doors opened and I could not believe my eyes.

The underground base was more modern and high tech than Stark ever was. HYDRa agents littered the giant base. Guns and training sessions were everywhere. Each session were training different skills. I felt like I was in The Hunger Games. Lance escorted me to another wing. One we entered, I immediately recognized the machinery in the dead center of the room.

It Was the brainwashing machine.

Bucky had been there multiple times. I remember the screams. Lance puts a hand on my shoulder, making me jump slightly.

"Not getting cold feet, right?" He asked with a crooked smile. I shake my head and smile back. "Good, now go get changed and we will begin."

I quickly change into jeans and a sports bra. That was the only thing I could wear. I glance down and hold my necklace. Was I making the right choice? I left for a reason....right?

"Ready?" I turn to see Lance. He gave me sympathetic eyes. "second guessing?"

"Yeah." I mumble. Lance lifts my head up and gives me a warm smile.

"You are making the right choice. Back there, they don't treat you right. They..they don't see what we see. A girl who is strong and is never weak. A girl who needs love, and I know we did not see it before, but we changed." He kisses my forehead and cups my cheeks. "I'm here for you." I look down but then smile.

"You're right." Lance smiles wider. "They don't see me like you do."

"Great." Lance says then offers his arm out. "Shall we?"

I take his arm and he leads to the giant room. Scientist fill the once vacant wing. WE walk over to the machine and Lance leads me to sit down. I am hesitant but I do.

"Ladies and Gentleman. You are about to witness the beginning of a changed world. With this child, we will prove to change it! To finish what Zola started!" One of the men in official clothes announced. 

"Sit back." One of the scientist ordered as they pushed me to lie all the way back. My breath became faster. My heart beat was erratic. They put a grip in my mouth and pushed my head back.

"See you when you wake up.....Winter Storm." Lance said. The machine began to make nose. It grasped on my arms and legs, not allowing me to move. The black patches with electricity began to come closer to my face. Once it covered my face, The screams began, and the world began to become hazy.

===========================================

Third Person POV

The HYDRA Agents crowded around to watch. The screams of the child grew as they amplified each shock. Once finished, the machine calmed down and let the child go. Lance walked over to the girl. She shot up disoriented and confused.

"Where am I?" She demanded. 

"You are home Storm." Lance said to her. She seemed confused.

"I..Is that my name?" She asked. Her bright blue eyes glowed with every word.