Chapter Nine

Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the fact I had to get back to school, even though I tried as hard as I could to. So, Monday I decided to drag myself out of bed and drive myself to the run down place we called high school.

I'm greeted by Ivy's big brown eyes and Italian complexion. After we exchange hellos, she excitedly drags me into the bathroom with her so I can help her fix her hair and makeup and maybe fix my own.

"You seem out of it," she notices while using a cotton swab for her brown eyeliner.

"It's just, I've been thinking of everything this weekend like Harry and Zak, and to come back to school today, it kind of snapped me back into reality," I sigh, looking over at her. She looks back at me and shrugs, going back to her makeup. I sigh and leans against a stall door, waiting for her to get done.

When I finish, some popular seniors walk in, talking about the beach or something like that, and ten suddenly freeze in their tracks, looking straight at me.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry about what happened to you, Clarissa," the tallest one says.

"What happened to me?" I ask, looking over at Ivy for clarification. She just shrugs, showing me she knows about as much as me about this.

"How Zak killed himself right before homecoming. That must have sucked," the same girl says sympathetically, pushing back her bangs.

"Oh. Yeah." I say, trying to force a smile onto my lips.

"What did you do?" her blonde, short friend says.

"It's all a blur," I say, finally forcing on the smile.

"Oh. I'm sorry, sweetie," she sighs, and they all leave, obviously not wanting to do what they came in the bathroom to do with us there.

"Oh, wow," Ivy laughs and I can't help but laugh with her. It was nice to finally smile with someone who I was sure about.

Soon, Spencer, one of my other friends, walks in since she knows we're normally in the senior bathroom before homeroom.

"Hey!" she says, flipping back her long, black hair. Today she was wearing skinny jeans and a button-up white collared shirt. Spencer tended to vary in style. One day, she might be wearing something totally hipster, but the next day she might be wearing something a Hollister model would wear. She was pretty unpredictable, but it worked on her.

"Hey, sexy," I laugh and take Ivy's mascara to fix mine.

"You know you have only three minutes until you have to be to homeroom?" Spencer warns us, grabbing Ivy's mascara from my hand.

I sigh and let her use it, not wanting to object because I didn't really need it.

"Yeah," Ivy shrugs, "Did Clare tell you?"

I shoot Ivy a death glare and then look over at Spencer's mischievous grin.

"No, Ivy. Clare didn't tell me," Spencer says, closing Ivy's mascara, adding a little to much emphasis on every syllable in her sentence.

"It's nothing," I laugh nervously.

"Oh, it's something. Clare is in looove with Zak's murderer," Ivy gossips, closing up her makeup and stuffing it in her bag.

"Zak's death was suicide," Spencer says, looking over at me, raising both eyebrows.

"We did a good job, covering it up, didn't we?" Ivy smirks, slinging her comic print bag over her shoulder.

"You guys are idiots," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Or are we?" Spencer says, raising an eyebrow, not at all shocked by the news Ivy had just leaked.

"I'm getting to class. You two can gossip, but it doesn't go past here, okay?" I snap.

"Fine," Ivy says in unison with Spencer.

"You sound like the devil children when you do that," I laugh and walk out of the bathroom, not at all worried about them.

They may be stupid, like me, but they're not stupid enough to spread that gossip.

Well, at least I hope they aren't.