Chapter Seven

"I said I didn't need you to help me," I snap at him, throwing his arm off me.

Even though I knew it was wrong to say, I said it. I don't know why. I should be thanking him for saving me, but the pride inside me said I couldn't be doing that.

"It looked like you needed me back there," he snaps back and keep walking, not noticing I had stopped.

"Harry!" I yelp, stomping my foot on the ground, sounding like a six-year-old who didn't get her toy.

He spins around quickly and crosses his arms after pushing back his hair.

"What?" he asks.

"I was beginning to trust you and then you just go and follow me," I explain, snapping my head to the side to flick my hair out of my face.

"I had to, Clare!" he yells at me, walking towards me and grabbing my shoulder roughly.

"You knew I could handle myself, Harry," I snap at him.

"Not against them," he argues back, "I saw him touch you! Do you know how hard that was?"

"Why would that be hard?" I snap back at him, "What? Are you my father?"

"No! It's just...never mind," he sighs, dropping his hand from my shoulder.

"Tell me, Harry," I say, gritting my teeth, getting angrier at him every second.

"I love you!" he confesses, instantly looking down at his feet afterwards.

I back away from him slowly, as if he's a sleeping child that I don't want to wake up.

"No you don't, Harry," I say softly.

"Do you love me?" he asks, looking back up at me, tears in his eyes. It was weird to watch Harry come close to crying when I had known him as such a tough guy this entire time. A murderer.

"I'm so confused right now, Harry," I choke out, realizing all of a sudden that I was close to tears, too.

"It's not that confusing, Clare. You either love me or not," he clarifies, gritting his teeth a bit to keep from crying and to ease his anger.

"I do. I really do love you, Harry, but right now...I don't know how I can," I say.

"But you can! Look! You just said it!" he says with a light difference in his voice that I can't quite put a finger on. Then, he walks towards me, a little bit more of a jump in his stride.

"Oh, God, Clare. I love you," he laughs, looking down at me when he gets up to me, "I love you, I love you, I love you."

"You barely know me," I say, trying to keep a straight face.

"Of course I do. I know all I need to know about you," he says, brushing a piece of my hair out of my face.

"Like what?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Like, you always like to pick at an argument, even though you don't need to. You think you're tough and strong, even though you're only five foot five and have about as much muscle power as a baby chihuahua."

"Those things can bite, though," I say, unable to keep from cracking a smile.

"And you always wear that necklace with the two roses and the infinity sign in the middle, not because someone gave it to you, but because you like it," he explains.

"Harry, you can stop now," I laugh.

"And when I get you to laugh, I can tell that the fight you decided to pick for no reason is finally over," he says, smiling.

"So, what now?" I ask, uncrossing my arms, realizing those were the only things separating me and Harry from each other.

"This." he says softly, and for a second I think he's going to kiss me, but instead, he just wraps his arm around my waist and starts to walk away in the opposite direction. I follow his trail by his side obediently. I don't know where we're going, and personally, I don't care. As long as I'm with him.