Chapter One

Zak smiles at me and hands me the yellow rose I had always adored from his mom's flower shop.

I laugh and take it from his hand gently.

"Hey. You're not late," I laugh.

"It's homecoming. I'd never hear the end of it if I actually was late," he laughs.

I laugh with him and follow him down the stairs. Luckily, my parents thought he'd be late and were going to be home in ten minutes, so we didn't have to take any awkward pictures in front of the fireplace by the old family photos sitting over it on a shelf.

We step into his pickup truck cautiously, and for once, I don't have to look for dirt that could get caught in my outfit.

"I cleaned the truck," he laughs and starts the car up.

I nod, "I could tell."

He laughs. "I need to get gas, though, so you're gonna' have to hang in there for like, five minutes."

I nod and smile at him.

Like most British boys, Zak was very attractive. He had light blonde hair that always fell in front of his eyes unless he pushed it back, which was very rare. Tonight it was pushed back because he knew I liked it that way.

Zak was also a happy guy with a goofy smile that you can't help but laugh at.

We've been dating for three weeks now and it feels like we've known each other for years.

We were friends before we started dating, but we were distant. It feels like right when you start holding someone's hand, you start to read each others' minds or something. At least, that's how it was with us.

I don't think we loved each other, but he seemed like the one.

Before we dated, I never wanted to be associated with him, but I guess we were stuck with each other for some crazy reason. He was the ex-druggie and I was the pretty cheerleader. For some reason that really didn't fit together until it actually happened.

Suddenly, we pull into the Shell gas station.

"One sec, I'm going to ask how to use my gas card," he says, smiling at me.

"You're an idiot," I laugh.

He nods, "I know, I know."

I laugh.

"I love you," he says casually, walking away before I have a chance to say anything back.

I watch him walk into the store, completely confused. I'm actually kind of thankful he had left before I could respond because I wouldn't have been able to say anything back. I didn't really love him, did I?

But no matter how thankful I was for this time to think, it just felt wrong to wait for him to come back to say it back to him. Being the stupid girl I was, I decided I'd run to him inside the Shell station.