Chapter Five

"Hey," he says from behind me.

Startled, I turn around to face Harry. He had on a grey sweatshirt today instead of his black t shirt and there were bags under his perfect green eyes. His hair was styled sloppily on top of his head and a huge bruise was eminent under his right eye. He didn't seem like the kind of guy you normally see at a grocery store.

"What happened?" I ask him, touching the bruise lightly with my fingertips.

He winces and grabs my hand to keep it away from his face.

"On my way home, some guys, they jumped me. They said they saw you and me walk to Ivy's house together," he sighs.

"So?" I ask.

"Do you think you're pretty?" Harry asks me, gripping my hand a little tighter.

"I don't understand," I say.

"Do you think you're pretty?" he repeats, more sternly.

"Um, I don't know. I guess I have good hair." I shrug, "Why?"

"Those guys think you're pretty for all the wrong reasons," Harry says, "They told me what they'd do to you if they got you alone."

I bite my lip and look at the ground, "Harry, they're just trying to scare you."

"But what if they aren't," Harry says, moving closer to me.

"Then..." I sigh, "Well, I don't know what happens."

"As long as you're with me, they won't hurt you," he whispers. Despite his appearance, his breath smelled really nice.

I look back up at him slowly, scared by the intensity in his eyes.

"I can take care of myself," I laugh, grabbing a box of butter from the shelf with the hand Harry wasn't holding.

"You don't understand," Harry snaps. "They're stronger than you. I barely made it out of that fight alive."

"What the hell, Harry? I don't need a bodyguard." I say, yanking my hand free.

"Please. Let me help you," he says desperately.

"I don't need your help," I snap and walk away quickly before he can convince me.