Chapter Six

"He's getting creepy," I say to Ivy over the phone, instinctively looking back at the supermarket to make sure Harry wasn't following me.

"Maybe you're his next victim," she teases.

I laugh, pushing my plastic grocery bag further up onto my arm as if it was a purse.

"No. He's, like, getting overprotective," I clarify.

"It's cute on him," Ivy says and I can practically see that smirk on her lips through the phone.

"Yeah. Whatever," I sigh, rolling my eyes, "I need to go. Bye."

Her home phone echoes in the background as she says, "Yeah. Me too. Good luck."

Then, she hangs up. I sigh and slip my old, thick slide phone into my back jean pocket. It was a cold day in Cheshire, like usual and I was only wearing a cardigan over my thin tank top.

I pass two middle aged tourists, who are taking pictures of the old town hall.

My TOMS crunch on the gravel path under my feet. Somewhere in the distance I hear fire truck sirens, but think nothing of it. It was a common sound I heard everyday along with the train that passed by my house only a couple miles away. Instead of setting my own alarm, the train whistle woke me up in the morning, along with a few other people in my school.

Like Zak.

I was a strong girl. I never cried. Not since I was ten and my father died, so Zak's death, no matter how bad it shook me, I hadn't cried at. I guess it was because I hadn't had time to think except for now, with everything Harry was telling me.

When it had first happened, I was pretty mad, I guess. But now, I understood a lot and instead of hating Harry, I was hating Zak.

He had told me that he had quit drugs and I had stupidly believed him. And here he went, pretending he didn't have money for the drugs he had already taken, risking his life the night he told me he loved me.

Maybe he knew he wasn't coming out alive somehow.

But still, his last action was hitting a guy in the side with a knife. The guy I was falling in love with.

Before I can think further, a hand clamps over my mouth and throws me against them.

I try to scream, but his hand muffles the sound.

Instantly, I start writhing within their grip and try to pull away, but they just pull me close and their hands tighten.

I feel myself get thrown against a brick wall, my eyes suddenly losing focus. By the time a maintain composure, I realize the back of my head is really starting to hurt from the impact with that wall.

Slowly, I feel his free hand creep up the back of my shirt and mess with the clasps on my bra.

Quickly, I kick him in the balls with my foot, using all the power I can get in my position.

He keels over a bit, but then gets a bit mad. He desperately unclasps my bra and kisses me roughly on the lips right after moving his hand. Instantly, I bite his bottom lip hard, but he just seems to enjoy it even more.

I try to struggle a little bit more, but his tight becomes tighter and tighter every time until I feel something sharp and cold on my arm. The boy had a knife.

I calm down a bit, but object to the kiss. His lips trail down to my neck and I whimper a bit, suddenly wishing I had brought Harry with me.

And then, as if on cue, the boy is pried off me and I'm freed.

Instantly, I collapse to the ground onto my knees.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Harry beating the crap out of the guy who had attacked me.

The boy has a few moments of his own, but mostly, Harry was winning the fight.

I smile at him and laugh a little, even though I knew this was the worst possible time to be laughing.

Harry slowly gets up and grabs my left arm.

"Let's go," he snaps, dragging me behind him as he runs off.