Chapter Eleven

I heard everything he said

I heard everything he said. I know I shouldn't be listening to him but he was kind of screaming and it was hard to just ignore what he was saying. I was shocked to learn that they didn't support him in the army. What kind of parents were they? I mean, Logan is very good at what he does but not only that, he actually enjoys his job. Not many people can say that now days.

Logan continued to sit in the corner staring off into space. I could tell he was in deep thought so I didn't disturb him. I just looked over to my nightstand and grabbed the book I had been reading. I picked up where I left off and silently read to myself...

"They're leaving first thing in the morning." Logan mutters after a few minutes.

I look up at him. "That's fine..."

"What did they say to you?"

I hesitate before responding, "Honestly, they didn't say much. I just introduced myself and then they just sat down after I told them that you weren't in." I look back down at the book and continue reading.

"Why do you do that?"

"Do what?" I finally give up and sit my book back on the nightstand.

"Not ask me a billion questions. You act like it's none of your business and you completely withdraw yourself from asking anything about them."

I sigh. "Because it isn't any of my business. What happened between you and your family is between you and them."

"It is now. You live here too and they had no right to talk about you like that."

"Well, they did and oh well. I'm not going to go kill myself just because your momma doesn't like me. Trust me, I've been through worse and you of all people should know that."

"You confided in me, now it's my turn." He adds and stands up. I watch him carefully as he sits down on the other side of the bed.

"Oh, Lord." I mumble.

"What?"

"You don't need to tell me your life story just because I told you mine."

"Yes, I do and you're going to listen."

Did he just give me an order? "Well, I got news for you, Captain, you may yell out orders outside of this house and expect people to jump every time you say something, but that's not how it works inside."

"Oh, really?" He smiles.

"Oh, yes. I rule in here. I give the orders." He bursts into laughter. "What's so funny?"

He tries to keep a straight face. "Nothing... Nothing."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Now, if you don't want to tell me, don't. I honestly don't mind."

"But I want to tell you."

"Fine." I sigh. "Go."

"My parents only had two children. I was born first then Alex, but he was more of a surprise. I always knew my dad had a corporate job but I didn't know much about it until I was in middle school. That was when my parents told me that I was to become a successful businessman and carry on my dad's legacy after he was gone. I didn't tell them that wasn't my dream until my junior year of high school, they refused to listen to me and ignored me for months. I let it go and graduated high school with my wife. Her name was Julie and we had been going to school together since Kindergarten. We never really talked to each other until eighth grade, that's when we began dating. My parents always liked Julie until I asked her to marry me. They didn't think she was fit to be a business man's wife, it was then that I told them I had joined the army. That was the last time I saw them until now."