Chapter Seven

Logan stayed the night with me

Logan stayed the night with me. The General told him he could break the rules this time, since he had to make his decision by morning. I went to bed around midnight and Logan slept in the guest room downstairs. Well, he was supposed to be sleeping, but every time I woke up, I could hear him pacing the floor.

And when I got up this morning, he was in the kitchen, drinking coffee. Coffee! He doesn't drink coffee and when I asked him about it, all he said was that he needed it today. He never mentioned if he'd made up his mind and I never asked.

After an anxious morning, the doorbell rang and I went to answer it.

It was the General.

"Good morning, Ms. Woods. May I come in?" He asks as I step aside.

"Of course." He walks into the living room as I shut the door. Logan and I enter at the same time as the General locks eyes with Logan.

"I have an early flight and I'm afraid I don't have much time. Now, Lieutenant, will you be accompanying me or not?" He asks.

Logan stays silent for a moment before making eye contact with him. "I've been arguing with myself ever since I left the hotel yesterday. You made me an offer that I couldn't refuse... I never thought I'd be able to reach the title of Captain, sure, I've always dreamed about it, but I never thought it would be something I could achieve..."

The General smiles. "I'm glad you have chosen this-"

Logan interrupts, "Sir, let me finish..."

"Proceed."

Logan pauses before continuing. "It was a very nice offer, but then I realized that, yeah, it sounded good and it would make me more superior but was that really what I wanted? A title? A new uniform? I continued to ponder on that thought until I finally realized what made me a good leader was that I never let my team down. I expected them to give it their all and they expected the same of me. When Nick died, I promised him something. I gave him my word that I would make sure Caroline was taken care of. General, Nick gave the army his all and he died because of it. I owe him, the army owes him... You know me, sir... I'm a strong willed person and I won't give up until the battle is won. I was given this assignment and I will complete it. I'm sorry, but I will not be traveling back with you."

I just stare at him, unable to say a word.

"Lieutenant, I respect your decision, but may I remind you that my offer may not stand after you complete this mission."

Logan nods. "I understand and my mind is made up. I'm staying."

"Very well. I will check back with you in a few weeks. Have a nice day, Ms. Woods." He adds and exits the house.

"You turned him down..." I state looking at the floor.

He smiles. "I did. So, what are we doing today?"