Chapter Nine

It didn't take long for us to land in Virginia

It didn't take long for us to land in Virginia. Once we got our luggage, we found the General waiting for us at the exit. "Captain." He says and salutes Logan. "Ms. Woods. I'm glad you decided to take us up on our offer."

"Thank you, General, for being so kind."

He smiles. "That's my job. Now, shall we carry on?" He asks, pointing to the car.

"Of course," Logan adds as he loads our luggage into the trunk. The General and Logan get up front and I sit in the back. I had never been outside Kentucky before so all of this was very new to me. I took the chance to take in all the scenery as Logan and the General chatted about work.

Within ten minutes, we drove up to a big iron gate. The General rolled his window down and shows the security guard his ID. They opened the gate and we continued down the road.

As for as I could tell, it looked like a huge, gated community to me. I saw bike paths and playgrounds, a public pool, and even a park as the General parks the car in a driveway. I get out and see the house. It's actually a duplex, our house being on the left.

The building's exterior was made up of white siding and huge bay windows. The front door was black and the trimmings around the windows were also of the same color. The General unlocked the front door as Logan and I entered. The first room was the living room. It was painted light blue and has brown leather furniture with hints of blue throughout. "The house is already furnished?" I ask.

"Yes, well, most of it, the bonus room is still empty as we leave that up to the family." The General answers. We walk through an arch and find the kitchen. Which is dark blue with white cabinets and stainless steel appliances. To the left is a long hallway, the first door is the half bath, the second, the laundry room, and the third and fourth being the bedrooms.

"The master bedroom is the very last door, which has a full bath." The General states.

"You can take that one," Logan adds, walking into the guest room.

"Nonsense, I'll take this one. I'll be moving out anyway." I add and follow him into my room. It's decorated in white and purple. "Besides, purple isn't really a manly color, if you ask me." He laughs and we go into the master bedroom, which is highlighted in brown and white. "Now, this looks like you," I add as he agrees.

"Yeah, much better."

We walk back into the living room, where the General is waiting.

"Is everything to your liking?" He asks.

"Yes, sir. Everything is very nice." Logan replies.

"Good. It's getting late, so I'll leave you two to get settled in now, I expect to see you both at the base tomorrow morning, at exactly eight AM."

"Yes, sir."

With that, Logan follows him out and carries our luggage in before he leaves.

"Yay, unpack time!" I add sarcastically. Logan rolls his eyes as I go into my room. I start with my shoe suitcase. I open my closet door and shriek.

"What?" Logan says, running in.

"Look at that closet! It's huge!!!" I smile.

"You screamed about that?"

I give him a questioning look. "Yes, I did! Look at it! It's every girl's dream!"

He shakes his head and walks out.

I wait a minute before shrieking again.

"What?!?!" He comes running back in.

"Nothing just wanted to see if you'd still come."

He rolls his eyes. "This is going to be one interesting living arrangement." He adds and walk out once again.

I chuckle, "No, it's going to be fun. I really can be a fun person." I finish putting all my things away as I come up on my last duffel bag. I unzip it and pull out the picture frame. I walk over to the shelf under my TV and place it in the center. I go back and get his flag. I look all around the room, trying to find the perfect place for it. I finally decide to place it on my dresser, alongside the two vases of flowers.

Once I put all my suitcases away, I walk back into the hallway and see Logan standing in the kitchen. "Done?" He asks.

"Yes. Do you mind if I go and check out the area?"

"I'll go with ya."

We walk outside and follow the sidewalk around the gated community.

"So how many people live here?" I ask as we pass a group of kids.

"Well, right now, we aren't at full capacity, so I'd say around five hundred or so."

"Really? Wow."

"We're still renovating some of the houses, so it's not as busy as it normally is." We enter the park and sit down on a nearby bench. We sit there quietly as I watch a little girl play on the monkey bars. She couldn't be any older than five, but she's certainly cute as a button. She swings one last time before falling to the ground. A woman runs over to her, apparently her mother, as the child cries. She tries to soothe her but fails. Then a man walks up in uniform as the woman hands her to him. She immediately stops and they walk hand in hand away from the park.

That should be me.

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... It's been a long day, maybe we should go on home." Logan adds, standing up.

I shake my head. "No, now sit down." He sighs and does as he's told. "I haven't really had the chance to say this today, so I'm just going to say it now... Thank you for saving my life this morning, Logan. I owe you one."

"You don't owe me anything. It was my job."

"No, your job was to be there for me from five AM to eleven PM. You didn't have to answer the phone, you didn't have to come to the house and you didn't have to kill Louise. But you did, all because I called you needing help. You didn't know what was going on, but you came. That, Logan, is a true friend."

"I'm a soldier, keeping allies and innocent bystanders safe is what I do."

"Say what you want, Logan. But even when I do move, I hope we still keep in touch, because no one has cared enough about me to stay with me, in my house, when I'm completely insane or kill someone to protect me or even let me move in with them just so I won't be alone..."

"You need to get over the fact that people do care if you live or die in this world. And right now, that's me. Grief counselor or not. You are a very special person, Caroline. A lot of people would have given up after everything you've been through, but you're very strong willed. You are a real woman."

"Oh, gosh, Logan, stop sucking up. Gez." I add, turning away, trying to hide my blushing cheeks.

"I'm not and you know it."

"Well, Captain," I add and stand up. "I can tell you that not a day went by that I didn't think about giving up... But for some reason, I didn't. Maybe one day, I'll figure out why. But for now, I think it's bedtime."

"Now, I can agree with that statement." He says as we walk back to the house.

With every couple steps, we brush against one another.

And each time we do, a faint puff of wind blows us even closer.