Chapter 17

There's no way out.

I can't fight them all off.

These thoughts rolled through Ladybug's head as she surveyed the astounding number of guards. She was vastly outnumbered. Her eyes glanced up at a chandelier as it swung gently in the middle of the room.

Gabriel chuckled. "You look afraid," he said, interrupting her thoughts.

Ladybug shook her head. No matter what, she couldn't admit her fear. She had to remain strong. Although, it'd be nice for Chat Noir to show up.

"In your dreams," she hissed and smirked, pushing away her doubts.

Chloe leaned over Ladybug's shoulder and whispered into her ear. "Let's see how fearless you'll be when this knife is plunged in your shoulder."

Ladybug clenched her fists. She hated being taken advantage of. Especially by Chloe. "Empty threats? That's not good for your image, Ms. Bourgeois," she played.

"Mrs. Bourgeois you mean," Chloe cackled. "I'm marrying the Prince you know. And once that happens, I'll have absolute control over Parisilia!"

Gabriel narrowed his eyes at Chloe. She then laughed awkwardly. "Uh, I mean, I'll have absolute control by the King's side of course."

Ladybug laughed, desperately ignoring the fact that the doorway was filled with armed guards. "You two are fools. You both want absolute control. How do you think things will turn out?"

"Good?" Chloe guessed.

"Wrong," Ladybug replied. "Eventually, you two will fight over ideas and power and the King will put an end to it, Chloe! Meaning, he'll kill you at any costs. He's just using you!"

Chloe pondered this thought for a moment while Gabriel growled. "Enough! She is spreading lies," he yelled. He turned his head at the guards. "Capture her!"

The guards came charging at Ladybug. She widened her eyes and quickly reached for her yoyo. She moved out of Chloe's grasp and flung her yoyo at the chandelier.

Soaring through the air, she inspected the room. Guards were yelling and throwing their swords up at Ladybug in a desperate attempt to stop her. One sword flew dangerously close to her leg and pierced the skin. The pain caught the superhero by surprise and made her lose grip of her yoyo and fall to the ground.

Ladybug crashed to the ground, and luckily, she didn't land on a sword in the process. She groaned in pain; her entire body was numb from the fall. Her vision was blurry and she could barely make out the figures standing above her. Then, she fell unconscious.

The guards hoisted the superhero to her feet and dragged her out of the room. Gabriel smiled in satisfaction, following them.

"Wait," Gabriel called out just as the guards were about to put Ladybug in a jail cell. "Follow me."

*

Adrien sat on his bed, his head down in shame. He let Ladybug down. He let everyone down. He was supposed to be a hero. The boy stared at the silver ring on his finger.

Plagg frowned and sat his head on Adrien's lap. "It's not your fault those dummies are keeping you here," he mumbled.

"Yes, it is my fault. If I had not left the Kingdom in the first place, I wouldn't have put everyone in danger," he replied angrily.