Chapter 2

Marinette was walking steadily back towards the village when she noticed black smoke rise up in the air. A fire. She was about to take off when Alix rushed up to her. She looked disheveled and her eyes were sunken in.

"Marinette!" she exclaimed. "Come quick!"

Alix began running away and Marinette reluctantly followed, fearing what the source of the fire could possibly be.

The two pushed through a hectic crowd of villagers until they stopped in front of a large cottage that was up in flames. Marinette gasped as she noticed the untouched house next it and that's when she put the pieces together. Nino's house was up in flames.

She saw him gasping at the sight in complete terror, then he fell to his knees, clutching his head.

"Nino!" Alya's voice echoed, going over to her friend. Marinette quickly joined the two.

"What happened?" Marinette asked frantically, kneeling down beside him.

"I-I was returning from my errands when I saw a fire consuming my house," Nino stuttered. He stared at the ground in disbelief.

"Who did this?" Alya asked shockingly, glancing back and forth between Nino and the dilapidated cottage.

Marinette furrowed her eyebrows and growled. "I bet the King did."

Nino looked up at Marinette. "What? Why would-"

"Because you spoke out against him," Alya mumbled, shaking her head.

"Exactly," Marinette nodded angrily. "He's letting his true colors show."

"Man, that's sick," Nino muttered sadly.

"I'm not surprised," Marinette replied, standing up. "He has always treated the lower class horribly. My parents said so."

"Someone needs to do something about him," Alya mumbled annoyingly.

"You have no idea how much I agree with that statement," Marinette replied.

"Where am I going to live now?" Nino asked helplessly.

"You could stay at my place, I have an extra room," another friend, Max, announced, walking up to him.

Nino smiled gratefully. "Okay. Thanks."

Max helped Nino up and the two of them closely inspected the damage. Alya crossed her arms.

"We have to tell the others," Alya said with an affirming nod. "Ms. Bustier at least. She is one of the most authoritative figures in Parisilia."

"Not yet," Marinette said. "We don't know for sure if the King did it or not."

Alya groaned. "I'm tired of the defensive act. Let's go offensive."

Marinette sighed as another friend joined the conversation. Rose skipped up to them. "Guys, what do you think happened to Nino's cottage?" she asked, glancing at the burnt building.

"We... don't know. Maybe some raiders," Marinette replied, earning a glare from Alya.

"Oh," Rose replied softly. "You don't think it could be the King?"