Chapter 22 - The Union of Jareth and Sarah

Sarah woke to the sound of wedding bells being rung throughout the kingdom. Before she could pinch herself to make sure it was really today, Alesia entered the room.

"Good morning dear. Are you excited? Of course you are. I can't believe my baby is getting married!" She chatters on and on as Sarah goes into the closet to dress.

Once she's ready, Alesia leads her to the dressing room close to the ballroom where the ceremony is to be held. A Fae, a goblin and a sprite are there waiting. The trio works their magic to spin her a beautiful, one of a kind, form fitting wedding gown. Sarah felt like the most beautiful girl there ever was, in both the underground and above ground.

As the ceremony looms closer, Alesia gives Sarah a once over. The Fae was now working on her make up and the sprite on her hair. The goblin and another sprite were working on Alesia. Out of nowhere, Alesia burst into tears.

"You just look so beautiful," She blubbers. "You radiate happiness. My dear, you will make a wonderful goblin queen."

Alesia dried her tears and Sarah willed herself not to let hers spill over her eyelids.

Byron knocks on the door and entered the room. Sarah had asked him to give her away to Jareth in lieu of her real father. He kissed her cheek and announces that it is time. Alesia rushes to take her seat and Byron offers Sarah his arm. As she takes it, butterflies form in her stomach.

10,000 guests from all kingdoms of the underground had been invited. Byron leads Sarah down the hallway. She can feel her knees growing weak but forced each step, telling herself she would be with her love in moments.

The two turn toward the left to enter the ballroom. She gasps as a total of 20,000 eyes fall upon them. She falters and Byron's grip on her tightens. She holds onto him for dear life, grateful for his reassurance. She scans the room, first finding her friends, and then Jareth. He was gazing back at her, total love and adoration in his eyes.

They reach the raised podium and the Fae magistrate goes through the standard human dialogue of the bride's father giving her away. Alesia had made sure to blend both human and Fae ceremonies into one. Most in attendance had seen nothing like it before.

Byron handed her to Jareth and took his seat next to Alesia, who could be heard crying quietly. Sarah turned to face Jareth and forgot that anyone else was in the room.

The magistrate asked them to recite their vows. Jareth surprises Sarah by having prepared something.

"Sarah," He breathed her name. "I offered you everything, but asked for too much in return. I wanted your love, but also your fear and obedience. Now I know how wrong I was to have asked for all that. They are not ideal things to have from someone you love, or who loves you. So you left me, and returned to your human world."

The room was silent, even Alesia's sobs had stopped. He took her hands in his.

"But you came back to me. You came back, and I can't think of anything else but you by my side. But not as a lesser being or a slave, but as my equal. My queen."

She blushed bright red and he kissed her cheek as her eyes flooded with tears for the second time that day. The entire room drew a collective sigh and she knew she wasn't the only one touched by his words.

Though she hadn't thought of anything to say back to Jareth, Sarah felt the words rolling off her tongue.

"I never thought I could love you," She admits. "You intrigued and excited me, but I was terrified. You were so... Unpleasant. But I knew you couldn't be all bad if you were willing to save me, even after I'd left you. I wanted to hate you because it seemed easier that way. But I didn't expect to feel so drawn to you. My heart knew before my mind did. I felt like I was born to find my way to you. You were just a stranger until now, but I can't imagine and existence without you."

Another sigh comes to the crowd. The magistrate asks them to kneel, facing each other with their hands clasped out in front of them. In the ancient Fae language, the magistrate recites the bonding ritual used in all Fae marriages.

A deep purple ribbon appears out of thin air and binds their hands together rightly, but not uncomfortably. A blinding white light seers out through the 2 ends of the ribbon, enveloping them for a few seconds. When it disappears, they are told to stand again and the magistrate pronounces them wed.

"May I present the King and Queen of the Goblins."

Jareth scoops Sarah into a kiss so passionate that she isn't sure she can stand on her own. Alesia is not the only one crying anymore. Even Hoggle is teary eyed when he, Ludo and Sir Didymus make their way over to offer congratulations.

"Remember thine word, goblin king," Sir Didymus reminds Jareth. "One word of unhappiness from my lady, you shall be praying for death when I find thee."

"I wouldn't imagine making you unhappy," Jareth tells Sarah as they are swept from one guest to the next.

The festivities carry on late into the night. When Sarah's eyes begin to droop, he suggests that they head home, not stopping the whole way. She agrees and they go change into more travel appropriate attire. The remaining guests see them off. They ride on in silence, both happy and content.

Sarah must have dozed off, the next thing she remembers is Jareth carrying her through the castle. It is early morning and a pink haze was glowing around them. She kissed his neck and he smiled when he realized she was awake. He carried her through the bedroom doorway and laid her down on the bed. He started to lay beside her but she wouldn't let him move, and instead kept kissing him.

They consummated their marriage like no one ever had before. So loving and passionate, each of them explored and discovered each other in new ways, taking comfort in their closeness. Never had Sarah ever thought she'd be this close to the goblin king, emotionally or physically. They fell asleep in each others arms, blissfully content.