Chapter 6 - Settling In

Nearly a month had gone by before Sarah is finally able to conjure items and see Toby within the crystals. Jareth still assists her at times. While he is more powerful when he is angry or irritated, it is the opposite for Sarah. The calmer she is, the more her power rises. He purposely leaves out mind reading from her training, telling her any effort she makes will most likely be futile since she still has such trouble with the basics.

They bicker often, Sarah truly annoyed while he just finds it as an amusing way to pass the time.

Their days consist of training in the afternoons and most evenings. Sarah is free to spend her mornings however she pleases, often walking the Labyrinth with her friends.

The two settle into a routine, taking meals together, speaking about whatever comes to their minds. Sarah still longs to go to the above-ground to see Toby and tell him she is alright, and she voices it often. Jareth usually ignored her, but after hearing it 3 times in one meal, he had enough of it. He pounded the table with the palm of his hand, upsetting a glass of water and shocking Sarah.

"If you want to see your brother so badly, why don't you conjure that book of yours somewhere he can find it!" He said, meaning her worn copy of the Labyrinth. Her parents had packed it away in their attic along with the other things they'd taken from her apartment.

"I've already tried," She said. "But Toby is content, even happy. He wishes for nothing. I can look in on him anytime, but I want to be able to talk to him too."

"That can only happen if he wishes for you. Even I can't make an exception to that rule." Jareth told her in a softer tone. "Can't I be enough to keep you happy? Why must you whine so much?"

Sarah had no answer. Truth be told, she was afraid to let herself view Jareth as anything but a nemesis. She knew he was getting frustrated by her whining and lack of affections for him. He tried desperately to hide it, but she sometimes caught the look of longing. He never pressured her for a hug or even a kind word. He continued to sleep on the couch, but she knew it was only a matter of time before his patience with her would dwindle to nothing.

"Some day soon, you'll be made queen," He fought to keep his voice in check. "And I'd prefer that you eventually are able to talk to and about me as you do your brother. I do nothing but give to you Sarah. I don't appreciate your resentment over something I am unable to give."

At the end of his little speech, a tiny goblin named Pansy entered to announce the arrival of a Duke that had been expected hours earlier.

"I should have known," Jareth stood to go greet the Duke. "Sarah, my pet. I'm afraid we cannot continue your training for tonight. You are free to do as you wish until tomorrow."

She finished her meal and left to explore more of the castle. There were always new doorways and rooms to discover. She'd only had the opportunity to search the rooms adjacent to the dining and throne rooms.

Most were filthy, like no one had been them for years. She made a mental note to have them cleaned.

After nearly 2 hours of roaming around and getting lost and found multiple times, Sarah returned to their suite to shower and change.

She didn't realize the bedroom doors were closed and swung them open without thinking.

Jareth was walking out of his closet buttoning his pants, a shirt draped over one shoulder but not yet on. His hair was still damp from a recent shower. All Sarah could do was stare.

"Perhaps you should leave me to finish dressing pet?" He said softly.

She nodded and turned to wait in the sitting room. The door almost shut Jareth called to her and she opened the door back up a few inches.

"Do you like what you see, my pet?"

She simply glared before slamming the door shut. His laughter could be heard as she fought to slow her breathing. She had liked what she saw, and it scared her.