Chapter 26 - Realization

Sarah woke periodically over the next few days, but only long enough to eat and grieve over the loss of her friendship with Hoggle. Were Ludo and Sir Didyus part of this uprising as well, or was Hoggle acting alone? It hurt her heart to think of a betrayal that fierce.

Esmeralda was there when she finally woke, and stayed awake. Sarah felt disgusted with herself for being so weak and immediately dressed to travel to the goblin kingdom to confront Hoggle.

"They've already left," Esmeralda said.

"Who already left?"

While she had slept, Gideon and Byron had put together a battalion of the best warriors in the underground. They'd left early that very morning, planning to confront Hoggle themselves.

Sarah is overtaken by the need to know why Hoggle was doing this. She could feel that Jareth was still alive.

"I'm leaving, now," She told Esmeralda. "I have to know why."

"Are you sure you're well enough?" Esmeralda stood. "You look green."

As she said it, Sarah felt the need to be sick and reached the bathroom just in time. A question surfaced in her mind and she had to know the answer before doing anything else. She whipped her mouth and stood in the bathroom doorway facing her sister in law.

"Where is your mother?" She asked.

Without question, she led Sarah to the suite Byron and Alesia were using.

"Sarah, dear. How are you feeling?" She asked as they entered.

"I'm not well. I'm vomiting." She empathized the last word.

Alesia knew what Sarah was asking and burst into tears, as she always did anymore. Sarah was worried her legs wouldn't hold her much longer and inched toward a chair.

"What am I missing?" Esmeralda asked.

"I knew it was possible... But I never thought... Only so many can... It's so rare in true immortals..."

"You're pregnant!" Esmeralda screeched, finally catching on.

Sarah sunk into a plush chair. The answer shocked her, even though the somewhat expected it. She hoped it it was just her imagination.

"Well, you can't go now," Esmeralda said. "You've got to leave it in the hands of the warriors."

Alesia's head snapped up, her tears drying and her face growing alarmed.

"Go? Go where?"

Sarah glared at Esmeralda.

"To battle." She said.

"Absolutely not. You've got to look out for yourself now."

"Look out for myself?" Sarah stood and faced the two. "Antony and Sebastian were murdered. Jareth is being held hostage. You expect me to just sit around when he's in danger. Especially now?"

"Well dear, you've go this condition that changes things," Alesia reasoned.

"I'm well aware of the change in circumstances. But I won't just sit around. Hoggle is waiting for me. I have to know why."

She left the mother-daughter duo and rushed to the stables, saddling her own horse. She was terrified, not yet having rode one without Jareth. She must have done something right because she was off in a matter of minutes.

The horse galloped along without a break until she reached the battalion, camped out for the evening. Sundown was quickly approaching. As she reached the warriors, they bowed pointing her in the correct direction when asked.

She jumped off the horse and entered their tent after the guard permitted her.

"Sarah?" Byron questioned when he saw her. "Why are you here? This is no place for you."

"Please hear me out," She requests. Gideon says nothing, though a look of pure shock is on his face. "I will be the only one able to find Hoggle, I know this. He is waiting for me. There is no need for all these warriors."

"Are you mad?" Gideon asks. "We're going to rush in there as soon as we can. Capture now, interrogate later!"

"No," Sarah spoke over him. "I refuse to allow these unnecessary warriors into my kingdom!" She lowers her voice to normal volume. "Hoggle is my friend. Or he was. He will give me an explanation or be captured, tortured, and bogged. Will you hear my plan or not?"

"It had better be good," Gideon spat at her. "It had better not be rubbish."

"Silence," Byron commanded his son, and both turned to look at Sarah.

"I will go in alone. By myself!" She repeats as Gideon tries to interrupt. "After 10 minutes, no more than 6 men will enter the castle. Another 6 will follow after an additional 10 minutes. The rest are to remain in the city and labyrinth. We don't know the extent, if Hoggle is acting alone or not. I will conjure a flag over the highest tower. The flag will be white if Hoggle is acting alone, or red if he has goblins acting under him. Do not attack unless the flag is red."

Everyone murmured agreement or disagreement. Finally Byron shushed everyone and agreed to her proposal. Gideon would be included with the first 6 men, and Byron in the last 6. He also demands that they rest for the night, to which Sarah grudgingly agrees.

Suddenly famished, she helps herself to some food, as do the men. Gideon offers her a peach, her favorite. She thanks him and eats it in three bites. She quickly becomes drowsy and curls up in her makeshift bed for the night.

* That's all for tonight. I've got some medical issues going on and wasn't going to update at all tonight, but decided I should. Hope you enjoyed!

** I can't wait for the next chapter! What would Labyrinth be without a hallucination scene!?

Strangers 'Til Now - A Labyrinth fan fictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara