Chapter 2 - Immortality

Sarah was trying desperately to wake up. Blink an eye, move a muscle, anything. She wanted to prove Jareth wrong. Panic set in as a doctor and nurse walked into the hospital room her body occupied. The unmistakable sound of a switch echoed around the room.

"No!" Sarah was trying to yell. "Don't let me die!"

She felt herself slipping away. Knowing what she needs to do, she thinks of Jareth before it's too late. Maybe she knew back when she'd seen that owl, which she knew to be his animal form.

"I wish the Goblin King would take me away. Right now." She thinks.

She could hear his laughter and he appeared beside her body. With a snap of his fingers, they are again inside his precious Labyrinth.

"Such a wise choice my pet. Not only are you good as new, you are Fae and I've been generous enough to share my powers. You are willing to spend eternity with me, as my queen?"

Sarah reluctantly nods, discomfort showing through. The King, deciding to ignore it, begins to describe all the things he can do with his Fae magic. Her head spins with the never ending possibilities.

Jareth starts walking down the long, straight path to the castle, beckoning for Sarah to follow. She complies, her curiosity getting the better of her. She could hardly remember the last time she was within the castle walls, it being full of mind trickery and all she'd wanted was her baby brother back.

"I want to see Toby," She pleads after a few minutes of walking.

To her surprise, he agrees. The King stops and conjures a crystal ball. He urges Sarah to hold it in her palms and gently maneuvers behind her to demonstrate. His gloved hands cover hers, his mouth next to her ear.

"Clear your mind. Gaze into the crystal and think of nothing but your brother."

She tries, concentrating so hard that her face turns bright red. Nothing happens.

"It's not fair!" She yells and throws the crystal far down the path in her frustration.

Jareth laughs and conjures another.

"All in time my pet. But for now, I'll show you your dear brother."

He holds the crystal on the fingertips of his left hand and Toby appears within. He is in the tree house he'd built with Sarah's help the previous summer. Sarah's heart goes out to him, seeing the way he is crying and screaming, as only a 6 year old boy can. Jareth lets her watch for a few minutes until she begins to cry. The crystal disappears and unsure of how to comfort her without risking her attitude, he simply continued down the path, Sarah on his heels.

When they reach the Goblin City the goblins all gazed up at their King and Sarah. The last time she entered their home, she'd done a lot of damage. Her thoughts turned to her friends.

"You'll see them soon, I'm sure," Jareth tells her. She wonders if he can read her mind or if she were being obvious. It was very possible with the way her eyes swept through the throngs of goblins, a frown on her face. "Word travels fast here. I'm sure they'll be knocking on the gates by sundown. Especially your..." He pauses to sneer. "Higgle is it?"

"Hoggle," She corrects.

"Yes, well..." They turned down a corridor and Jareth lead her straight to a set of double doors. He opened them and they stepped inside.

"This is our suite. Feel free to nose around. There will be no secrets between us. I've business to attend to. I will collect you in time for dinner." He leaves, pulling the door shut behind him.