Chapter 8 - Journey To Fae

Sarah woke the next morning with her anxiety running high. She spent all of breakfast and most of lunch occupied by her thoughts.

"What if they don't like me? What if I don't like them? What if..." On and on she thought while Jareth listened.

Finally, a goblin announced that the bags were packed and loaded, and the horses were saddled and ready. Jareth led the way out of the castle, barking orders at this goblin or that. Sarah had bugged him until he agreed to leave Hoggle in charge during their absence.

She'd never ridden a horse before and stared confused at the single one standing before them. The other two had a cart hitched to them with their luggage.

"You don't think I'd let you ride alone? I know you don't know what you're doing, pet."

"What if they can tell how inexperienced I am? They're going to hate me!" She thought.

Jareth had had enough of her doubting herself. He gently grabbed a hold of Sarah and kissed her softly on her lips. When he pulled away, she raised her hand. He waited for the hand to smack his face but instead, she brushed her fingertips along her lips.

"I wished my love was all that mattered to you," the king told her before mounting the horse he'd named Mannon.

Sarah, confused, dazed and happy, tried to mount Mannon behind Jareth but instead slipped and fell. He bit back his laughter and helped her up behind him. The goblins laughed and she caught his smile before he turned away. She didn't want to put her hands on his waist, she didn't even want to ride Mannon with him. She was mad he'd been amused by her fall.

"It's not fair," She thought.

"You complain an awful lot," Jareth said, teasing her.

She grumbled another complaint before wrapping her arms around his waist. It was either that or take another tumble off Mannon. She had a pleasant surprise waiting, for Jareth was very fit underneath his shirt. She'd neglected to realize it when she'd caught him shirtless. He patted her hand, yelled out some last minute orders and commanded Mannon to trot.

Galloping adjacent to the outer wall of the Labyrinth, they rode on until sunset. When it was too dark to see more than a few feet ahead, Jareth veered to the left where a smaller path branched off from the main one.

"We left too late to arrive at a decent time tonight. We'll rest up in a cottage that was built for my use. Tomorrow, we should arrive shortly after noon." He answered before she could ask.

The cottage popped up, as if out of nowhere and Jareth hopped down, tying Mannon and the cart horses to a feeding trough before offering Sarah his hand. She took it and jumped down, stumbling as her feet hit the ground. Jareth quickly grabbed her around the waist to prevent her potential fall. She looked at him and smiled, her gratitude showing in her eyes.

Jareth produced them a nice dinner and they both drank glass after glass of wine. Jareth, who was used to drinking excess amounts, felt only slightly buzzed. Fueled by her ever rising anxiety, Sarah drank more than she ever had and vomited all over the bathroom floor, not reaching the toilet on time.

She moaned, feeling horrible and expected Jareth to scoff in disgust and leave her alone. But he actually cared for her, cleaning her up and leading her to bed. Overcome by a sudden urge to hug him, Sarah threw her arms around his neck. Jareth is taken by surprise by her actions.

"You're so nice to me," Sarah giggles, deliriously.

She pulls him close. He loses his footing on the ground and ends up sprawled over top Sarah. She giggles again and kisses him. He gently kisses back, before trying to pull away. Sarah wont let him though and their mouths move in sync, growing more passionate.

Jareth doesn't know how long it went on, but when Sarah moved and her shirt twisted to expose her stomach and then some, he came to his senses. He pulled away and she groaned with frustration. She'd wanted more.

"Not like this, you're drunk," He told her.

Sarah doesn't answer. Her eyes droop and her breath evens out. Jareth pulls away, intending to sleep on the couch, but Sarah pulls him back down beside her.

"Stay with me," She mumbles, cuddling him tightly.

They lay in silence until Jareth has a thought. If he can get her to agree, drunk or not, he knew she'd hold to her promise.

"Are you capable of being this nice to me when you're sober? He asked. "In front of my family perhaps?"

"Mmm? 'Spose," She mumbles before snoring softly.

Jareth kisses her forehead and slips of into sleep.