Death

Cuts and Cake

Chapter 13

Somewhere in the ruins a crow cawed, setting the eerie tone to the scene. If either person lost they would have to pay a heavy price.

Ash stared at Ciel, suspicious of how easily he had accepted a change in terms.

"To make sure you don't play any tricks, we should have a mediator for our game- Angela can do-"

"I have already thought of that," Sebastian interrupted and held up his hand. "Lau, if you please."

A head poked through an opening in the wall and a tall lanky Asian male stepped into the space followed by a younger Asian female. They were both attired in traditional Chinese clothing.

"Hello Mr Michaelis, I'm Lau," the male introduced himself and bowed. "I will be moderating your match in case either of you cheat."

"How do I know that you're not on the brat's side?"

Lau looked puzzled. "Brat? Ah, the Earl- I have never met him until today when he called me so I'm not supporting him or you."

"If you say so. I'll take white so I make the first move," Ash said finally and moved one of his pawns 2 spaces forward. "What's the girl for?"

"Ran Mao? You will find out if you break the rules," Lau winked. "Now, what game are you playing?"

7 moves later Ash and Ciel had an equal number of pieces left, but Ciel was closer to check as he had taken most of Ash's powerful pieces. He estimated that he could probably force Ash's king into checkmate in 5 more moves if the game was played fairly. Of course he knew Ash never played fairly and if his opponent was going to cheat then now would be the time he was going to do it.

He cast a glance at his opponent who didn't seem to have much attention on the game as his eyes were fixed in another place. Ciel followed his line of sight and realised it was fixed on where Angela had been previously standing by the doorway. Then he saw that Sebastian had disappeared too.

Ash noted his unease. "Is there something wrong, Ciel? I think you were a little too focused on your little chess game. You failed to notice some of the things going on around you."

"Damn you..."

Ash picked up his King and twirled it around in his hand. "Since Sebastian nearly killed a girl and came close to damaging my reputation I hired someone to keep an eye on him. Imagine my surprise when it was reported that he had made friends with a boy named Ciel Phantomhive," he said and reached out to stroke Ciel's face. "You even spent a night at each other's houses so I knew you two were definitely close."

Ciel pulled away in disgust and knocked over the remaining chess pieces. There was no way the game was going to continue anymore.

"I was suspicious so I asked the person I hired to search your house and mine and he found that you were planning to kill me."

"So you have known what we were going to do from the beginning?"

"Yes. Angela has taken care of Sebastian and I just need to take care of you. And don't bother calling for help- I've already bribed your Chinese acquaintance to turn a blind eye."

Ciel looked desperately over at Lau who averted his gaze to the sky guiltily and then left the way he came with Ran Mao. There was obviously not going to be any help from that quarter. He was on his own again.

"So after killing my parents 6 years ago and gouging out one of my eyes you're here to take my other eye and kill me?" Ciel shouted angrily. "Why did you even do it in the first place?"