Angel Cake and Lemon Meringue

Cuts and Cake

Chapter 12:

6 Days later:

Ciel sat outside his house on the doorstep and watched the sun rise, wondering if it would be the last time he would be able to see it. Silently, he watched the glowing ball of the light illuminate the landscape in pretty oranges and yellows. He wished that he had gotten up early enough to watch the sunrise before now.

He held his hands out in front of him so the light bounced off his rings. Sebastian had been right- he had the right to wear them now.

As if on cue the front door slammed shut behind him and Sebastian sat down next to Ciel.

"Everything is ready at the fire site and I just made the call to Ash," Sebastian informed him,

"Is he coming?"" Ciel asked, still looking up at the sky.

"Yes. He was unwilling at first, then as planned I said it had belonged to a family called Phantomhive and that I was friends with their son. After that he seemed jumpy and agreed to come. He's probably making calls to all his friends now."

"It's inconvenient that he will be in his guard, but if you say that it is the only way to get him there, then I believe you."

"It is. He's been suspicious of me ever since the incident with Mey-Rin," Sebastian answered and held out his hand to Ciel. "Let's go. Your aunt is waiting in the car."

After a second Ciel took a deep breath and took the offered hand.

"In case we don't survive this I will give you a few compliments: you make good desserts and I suppose you're a good kisser, slightly," he said awkwardly with a red face.

Sebastian smiled. "Thank you. Just for you I packed a selection of desserts in the car and I made a flask of Earl Grey Hot Chocolate."

Ciel took one last glance at the house he had lived in for 6 years and walked out onto the pavement with Sebastian. If they made it out alive, he resolved to make Sebastian his butler.

The car journey to the Phantomhive estate seemed to last an age for Ciel, but he put it down to nerves and the fact that his aunt clearly wasn't happy with being roped into the plan or him trying to get revenge in the first place. He ignored her glances at him in the rear view mirror and spent half the journey eating Angel Cake and staring out the window. In addition to his aunt not talking, Sebastian was strangely silent as well.

After they stopped for a toilet break Angeline broke the silence.

"Ciel, you know you don't have to do this. We can just go back home," she suggested desperately as she pulled onto the motorway. "As for you Sebastian, I don't know how you agreed to do all this against your step-father."

Sebastian cast a glance at her and looked down again. They needed her co-operation so they had explained the facts to her, neglecting to mention anything about the contract.

"Aunt Angeline, what can we do? Just turn back and wait until he threatens us again to obtain the rest of the company? We have to end it now," Ciel protested.

Angeline stopped behind a long line of cars that were stuck in a queue.

"I know that we are sort of doing the right thing, as what he did to my sister and you was barbaric, but I just don't like it."

"We can't exactly report him to the Police, can we?"

"He is right Miss Durless," Sebastian interjected, "He would just bribe his way out of it. This is the only way."

Angeline sighed. "I know that you are both right. It's just that I feel like a failure as an aunt and a sister. I took the easy way out when he threatened me."

Ciel undid his seatbelt and patted her on the shoulder. "Don't worry, you're a good doctor- my head has fully healed and I hear you're fun at parties, Madame Red."

In his seat Sebastian smirked and leaned over to whisper to her, "You were right about him knowing, you are good at some things."

"Thank you Ciel and put your seatbelt back on for god's sake. Seatbelts save lives- it's useless if you died before you even arrived."

"So you're back to normal then," Ciel smiled and returned to his second slice of lemon meringue pie.

No one in the car felt like smiling when they finally reached the grounds of the former Phantomhive estate. Angeline parked her car on the drive and they all got out. Sebastian opened the boot and took out a briefcase.

"He should be here in half an hour. That's just enough time to set up," Sebastian said, checking the time on his watch.

Angeline nodded. "All right. I'm sorry that I can't do much to assist either of you. If it goes wrong, just run away and forget your pride. I'm leaving now and good luck."

The pair watched as she got back in the car after kissing Ciel on the head and shaking Sebastian's hand and drove away.

"Lau should be waiting inside, he sent a text earlier," Ciel said and began to walk up the drive to the place where his cursed life had begun.

***

Half an hour later Ash and Angela Michaelis arrived to find their adopted son waiting outside the Phantomhive mansion for them.

"Hello, Father and Mother, how was Paris?" he asked politely as they stepped out the car.

"Profitable," was Ash's curt response.

"Why have you brought us here, Sebastian?" Angela asked, smoothing out her lilac dress. "You obviously have an ulterior motive if you are friends with the Phantomhive boy."

"Ciel is inside. He had a proposition for you."

Ash narrowed his eyes. "Really? Lead the way then."

Ciel Phantomhive sat down on the hard ground of the area where the living room used to be and winced at the charred bricks of the walls that surrounded him. The furniture had been completely destroyed in the fire and the walls were full of large holes and there were dried pools of blood on the floor that still hadn't faded after 6 years. He checked that the pieces on the chessboard in front of him were laid out correctly and that he had everything that he needed.

He heard footsteps approaching and his heartbeat quickened as the man who had gouged his eye out came into sight along with the woman who had held him down. His hands balled into fists.

"Hello Ciel. It's been nearly 6 years since I last saw you and you haven't grown at all," Ash smirked and spotted the chess board. "I see that you are still playing games."

"This won't be an ordinary game," Ciel answered evenly, ignoring the insults. "Sebastian, explain the rules."

Sebastian motioned for his adoptive father to sit down opposite Ciel and took out 2 documents from the briefcase that was next to Ciel. Angela stayed lurking by the burnt door frame.

"The game is standard chess. As for the prizes: if you win, you will obtain the rest of Funtom- this document already has the necessary signatures and you will also get the deeds to this house and the surrounding land." Sebastian held up the second piece of paper.

"What would I want with a crumbling ruin?" Ash snorted.

"I want it," Angela said from the doorway. "It can be rebuilt and I could design the interior to be completely Victorian as the original structure is still standing."

"Fine. What happens if the brat wins?"

"I get to kill both of you," Sebastian replied with a smile.

"You will ruin your life if you do that to your parents," Ash said vaguely as he calculated the risks. "I agree to play, but if I win, Sebastian, you will have to gouge out the brat's other eye and kill him."

Sebastian shot a questioning glance at Ciel who frowned and then nodded.

"We agree to your terms."