Summer Chapter

Cuts and Cake:

Summer Chapter:

It was the summer holidays and Sebastian, Ciel and his aunt were on holiday in Cornwall. Ciel had found sixth form work challenging even with his intelligence so he was glad for the holiday, especially after his exams. His idea of a perfect holiday was to laze around the house reading books and drinking Earl Grey Hot Chocolate on days when it rained heavily.

So he wasn't happy when he was dragged to the beach by his aunt and Sebastian. Currently he was carrying the picnic basket and was hanging around with Sebastian whilst his aunt was searching for a space in the sand for them to sit.

He winced when his aunt shouted at him from some distance away because everyone in the vicinity turned to stare at her. Ciel had an idea that was her intention. She liked attracting attention.

"She had better not have chosen a spot next to seaweed," he shuddered and trailed after Sebastian who was already walking over to her. "It smells."

"It's the insects that crawl all over the seaweed that are more of concern," Sebastian replied. "I should have put insect repellent on you as well as sun cream."

"It's fine," Ciel said hastily. "Sun cream feels slimy enough."

Fortunately his aunt had chosen an area far away from stray seaweed. It was also next to a family with young children that were currently subjecting him to an intense stare. Ciel glared back and one of them burst into tears. Sebastian unsuccessfully tried to suppress a snort.

"Stop upsetting children," Angelina admonished lightly. "You loved coming to the beach when you were little so try not to spoil it for anyone else."

"Yes, Aunt Ann," he said, remembering that his aunt did have old photos of him on the beach with his parents and her.

Once all of the towels had been laid out and the parasol was up, Ciel sat down on a towel directly underneath the parasol and opened a book. He had no intention of sunbathing or swimming, he was still wearing a hoodie and was only wearing swimming trunks because they were easier to get sand off. He didn't come to the beach willingly so he wasn't going to take part in any of the activities associated with the beach. The only thing he was looking forward to was the picnic as Sebastian had made it.

"Are you coming for a paddle?" Angelina asked. "Sebastian is coming with me."

"Someone has to keep an eye on our things," Ciel answered without looking up.

"I'll stay with him in case he gets lonely," Sebastian said and sat down next to Ciel. "I think the lifeguard over there is your type, Angelina."

She peered in the direction he had gestured to and rushed off. Ciel closed his book and stared after her.

"She will be down there for ages now," he commented. "At least she is responsible enough to not pretend she is drowning to catch the lifeguard's attention like some people would."

"That is true. By the way, we aren't leaving here until this evening," his boyfriend informed him.

That was not welcoming information to Ciel. He had assumed they would be leaving in the late afternoon when the tide started to come up the sand. He could tolerate a few hours on the beach, not anymore than five.

"According to the weather forecast, today is going to be the hottest day on record so you will have to take off that hoodie at some point," Sebastian continued on.

Ciel knew Sebastian was telling the truth. Already he was feeling unbearably hot even though he was in the shade.

"That's all the more reason to leave earlier," Ciel griped.