Bribery and Strawberry Shortcake

Cuts and Cake

Chapter 2:

This is not a good idea.

Ciel paused with the knife in his hand, ready to cut. He had been about to cut to calm himself down when the image Sebastian Michaelis' smirking face had flashed in his head and he realised that a fresh cut would add more fuel to the fire if the annoyance decided to expose him the next day. No, he would have to wait until the marks faded or Sebastian left him alone. He had sensed that the teenager had been sadistically enjoying himself throughout their altercation.

He sighed and replaced the knife back in its hiding place under the loose floorboard. Now he had nothing to block out the trauma from the past.

Ciel wrapped himself in his duvet and perched himself on the windowsill to look out at the night sky. There was a full moon shining down surrounded by twinkling stars. Sometimes he wished that he didn't exist as a human and was a non-thinking organism like a star, a ball of dust and gas powered by hydrogen with no memories of the past and nothing to worry about especially not sadistic dark haired males.

At 1 o'clock in the morning, when he had finally got into bed to attempt getting some sleep, his aunt came rushing into his room, brimming full of questions. She sat down on the edge of his bed, knowing that he was still awake from the rate of his breathing.

"Ciel, how was your first day at school?" she asked happily, not caring about the late time.

Her nephew twitched his uncovered eye and rolled over to face the wall. "Terrible, thank you very much."

Angelina pulled the covers off him and pulled him into a hug, undeterred by his coldness as she was used to it now.

"I'm sorry for being so late. I had a long shift, then I got invited to a party..." She apologised feeling guilty about how much she neglected him at times when he needed company the most. "What went wrong?"

Automatically Ciel pulled away from her and subtly glanced at his pyjama sleeves to make sure that his wrists were covered. She was unaware of his habit as he was always careful to keep his arms covered around her and do it when she wasn't at home.

"Everything. They all thought I was a girl, the lessons are so boring, everyone is as dumb as a single celled organism, I threw up after eating lunch, and..." 

"And what?" she prompted, noticing his pause.

"Nothing. I'm taking my own lunch tomorrow by the way."

He knew he would never be able to tell her what had happened in the toilets. That would mean that she would find out everything and would want to keep a permanent eye on him and quit her job. He didn't want her to have to do that to look after him.

"So you are going tomorrow," she smiled, fully aware that he was keeping something back.

"I lost that game against you so I have to go to school for at least a week," Ciel mumbled. "A true Phantomhive keeps his word."

His aunt patted him on the head. "That's my boy."

***

"Damn it, she did this deliberately," Ciel cursed out loud.

There was nothing suitable to take to school for lunch. The kitchen cupboards were all empty of food apart from cereal and porridge oats and there was nothing suitable in the fridge.

"Does that woman want to kill me will greasy school food?" he asked out loud beginning to get annoyed at the prospect of having to be sick in the toilets after school.