Chapter 19

Chapter 19:

The last 9 days flew by, and Ed will be here by tonight! My family is so excited to meet him. I can’t wait!

I’m currently decorating Christmas cookies with my brother.

“Tay, check this one out,” he told me. I walked to his side of the table and peeked over his shoulder. I wasn’t even sure what that was supposed to look like.

“Um…what is it?”

“It’s a dinosaur!” He said, too excited. I laughed at his terrible decorating skills.

“Ohh I see it now! You could be an artist!” I said, not really meaning it.

“Oh, Taylor. I’m blushing!” He said, making us both burst into laughter.

“You have a bit of frosting on your face,” I told him.

“Where?”

“Right…” I wiped my whole cookie across his face, leaving a line of green and red icing across his face. “There!” I finished. He looked at me, shocked for a second before taking in what I’d done.

“Taylor. Silly, little Taylor. You don’t know what you’ve just started.” He started backing out of the room. He backed into the wall, making me laugh. “I’ll get you, my pretty. And your little cat, too!” He did a witches laugh.

“First of all, I’m not little. Second of all, touch Meredith and I’ll kill you!” I yelled to him as he left to clean off his face.

I was only alone for a few minutes before my mom walked through the kitchen door.

“Hey mom!” I said, while turning to look at her face. I couldn’t read her expression very well. She looked really serious, though. “Mom, what’s wrong?”

“Taylor…honey…I think now’s about time we talk about what happened a few months back.” I cringed at the memory. Tears pricked at my eyes. “Of course, only if you’re ready!” She added, quickly. Then she started rambling.

“I’m sorry, Taylor. I know this is hard for you and….I can’t wrap my head around the fact that I almost lost my baby. I wish I was closer to you and I’m sorry! I really am and I-

“Mom.” I interrupted her, pulling her into a hug. Tears poured from her cheeks. I hated seeing her this way. Especially so close to Christmas.

I’ve just realized how hard it must’ve been for her to hear that her child had almost died. I can’t even imagine how scared she must have been. My mom has always been my best friend. I’m so lucky to have her.