Chapter Six

Gerard wasn't at school the next day, Frankie realized when she spotted Lindsey sitting alone at the lunch table. She started to walk over to her.

"Hey," she greeted, sitting down across from her. "Do you know where Gerard is?"

Lindsey frowned. "No, I just assumed he was late. He usually tells me if he's skipping, but I haven't heard anything from him." She checked her phone, making sure there weren't any messages from the boy. "Have you seen him recently?"

"Um... yeah, we were with two of my friends yesterday, but he had to leave early. Something about his brother getting adopted?"

Lindsey gasped, her hands flying to her mouth. "What? No, he– Mikey?"

"Is that bad? Like, were they close at all?"

She nodded. "He told you how his mom died, right? He basically raised Mikey. If he's getting adopted..." she shook her head. "We should go see him. Ask if he's okay." She stood up.

"Wait, now?" Frankie asked. Lindsey didn't answer, just started walking to the main doors. Frankie scurried after her.

They set off to the orphanage, ignoring the icy wind chilling their bodies. Once inside, Lindsey marched right up the stairs, completely ignoring the sign-in desk.

"I practically live here, I don't need to sign in," she explained.

They walked up to the third floor, stopping at a door painted brown. Lindsey tried the knob, but it was wouldn't budge.

"Gerard?" She called, knocking on the door. "Frankie's with me. Can we come in?"

There was a click on the other side of the door. "It's unlocked," came Gerard's voice.

Lindsey pushed open the door to find her best friend drawing at his desk. She sat on the floor as Frankie lowered herself onto the bed.

They sat in silence at first. "How are you?" Lindsey finally asked.

Gerard lifted one shoulder. "Okay."

Lindsey chose her words carefully. "Is Mikey–"

"He's at school." Gerard put down his pencil. "He's staying."

Lindsey and Frankie exchanged a look. "Yesterday you said–" the latter started.

"He was." Gerard spun in his chair to face her and Lindsey. "He was supposed to. But the guy who was going to adopt him..." he covered his face with his hands, then let them rest on his shoulders. "It was my– my dad."

"Your dad?" Frankie asked. Didn't Gerard mention something about his dad? Didn't he say he would–

Lindsey's face went white. "You didn't–"

"No," Gerard sighed. "But I tried." He rested his elbows on his thighs, twisting the ends of his hair around his fingers. "I tried so hard," he continued, his voice cracking slightly. "And I failed."

"Maybe it was a good thing that you didn't," Lindsey said comfortingly. "You're my best friend, Gerard; I don't think you'd want to be known as a murderer."

"You don't– you don't get it," Gerard said, now grabbing a fistful of his hair instead of twisting it. He squeezed his eyes shut, then opened them, his pupils dilated. "I promised. I made a vow to kill him." He was talking to himself more than he was talking to the other two.