Chapter Twenty-Two

Gerard stood close to Frank once they were inside, being able to sense his boyfriend's nerves. He scanned the diner in hopes to find Ray.

Frank gave him a nudge. "There he is," he whispered, nodding in his direction.

Gerard glanced over to where Frank was looking. He immediately recognized the man's bouncy hair.

"I'm scared," Frank confessed.

Gerard gave his hand a squeeze. "You'll be okay."

"No, you don't understand." Frank turned to face him. "I'm scared to death. Ray's the only person I know who's went through the same struggle as I have. I've waited sixteen years to talk to someone like him, and now I finally get to." He swallowed nervously. "I... I'm not sure if I'm ready."

"Oh..." Gerard said softly. He rested his hands on Frank's shoulders. "I think it's up to you to decide whether you're ready or not. But if an opportunity like this comes up, I say go for it."

"You really think so?" Frank said quietly.

"I know so."

"...okay," Frank said nervously. He kissed Gerard on the cheek, his lips lingering there a second longer than usual. "I trust you." He flashed him a smile, then started to pull him to the table. "Come on, I want to meet Ray."

"Okay, okay," Gerard giggled. "Do you–"

Frank froze abruptly, for Ray was suddenly in front of him. Gerard looked up at him. He had forgotten he was a seventeen-year-old boy and Ray was a fully grown man.

"Hi," Ray said, extending a hand. "Are you Frank?"

"Yes," Frank squeaked as he shook hands.

"And you must be Ryan," Ray said as he shook hands with Gerard.

"No, sir," he said politely. "My name is Gerard; I'm Frank's boyfriend."

"Well, it's nice to meet you. Would you like to have a seat?"

The three boys all sat down as a waitress took their order. She gave Frank a long, cold stare before she left. The boy tensed up.

Ray noticed his discomfort. "Don't worry. I was always getting those looks before I transitioned. Sometimes I still do. You'll learn to ignore them.

"So..." he put down his drink. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I had some questions about hormones and surgeries," Frank answered honestly.

"I can answer them," Ray said with a smile. "Have you thought about surgery at all?"

"Yes, I have," Frank responded. "I'm currently taking testosterone, as a pill though, so I don't know if I should switch to a different form or not."

"I think it would be a good idea," Ray said. "It would make top surgery go smoother. The scars would stay visible for a while, but they fade away eventually. If you're insecure about it, I'd advise not to have your shirt off."

Gerard looked back and forth from the two. He didn't know Frank was taking hormones or thinking about top surgery. He didn't even know what the hormones did. Was he growing a dick? Were his boobs shrinking?

"Can I ask who you've come out to?" Ray asked after the waitress set down their food. "If it's not too personal."

"Um... okay," Frank said uncertainly. He stabbed one of his lettuce leaves with a fork. "Gerard, two of my friends... that's all. Oh, one more person," Frank added as he remembered Lindsey.

"So not your parents?"

Frank snorted. "I know for a fact my mom would kick me out if I told her."