Chapter Fourteen

Lindsey had been recovering slowly, but steadily. Her broken leg was healing nicely and most of her surgeries were over. She was still sleeping most of the day, but the sleep was good for her. She could even spend a few hours without the oxygen mask.

It's funny how one little flaw can change everything.

"...you're coming soon?" Gerard was saying to Frankie over the phone.

"Yeah," she replied. "Ryan and Brendon wanted to meet her. They're coming with me. Hope it's okay."

"That's fine," Gerard said as he walked down the hospital corridor to get to Lindsey's room.

"Cool. We'll be there in about ten minutes."

"Alright. See ya." He hung up and pushed Lindsey's door open.

Right away he could tell something was wrong. Lindsey wasn't watching cartoons or listening to music like she usually did. Instead she was sitting up in her bed, one hand on her chest. Her heavy breathing came out as a wheeze.

"Oh– oh god," Gerard stuttered. "Lindsey–"

She shook her head. "Can't... breathe."

"No," Gerard whispered, his eyes welling up with tears. "No, no, no, no." He scanned the room for her oxygen mask. She needed it. Now.

Lindsey doubled over in pain. "Nurse," she choked out.

"I will, I will, I just need to find– here." He grabbed the mask and strapped it over her nose and mouth, flipping the switch on. "Lindsey..."

"Go!" Lindsey snapped with as much strength as she could muster.

Gerard nodded and sprinted into the hallway. Tears were blurring his vision, making it hard for him to see. "Help!" He called out in a raspy voice. No answer.

"Someone help!" He yelled again, running up and down the hall, trying to find a doctor or a nurse or even a janitor– someone needed to help Lindsey. She was dying in there.

Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. She was dying.

He stumbled to a stop, leaning against the wall. His breathing was sharp and heavy. She was dying.

Gerard slid down to the floor, burying his face in his knees as he started to cry. Lindsey was doing so well. Now he didn't even know is she would survive.

"Gerard?"

He looked up. "Frankie," he gasped, picking himself off the floor. He clapped a hand over his mouth as sobbed again.

"Gerard, what's wrong?" Frankie asked, fear and worry etched in her eyes.

Gerard shook his head. "Lindsey," he managed to say.

Frankie gaped at him, mouth moving but no words coming out. She glanced at Brendon and Ryan for help.

"I'll get a doctor," Ryan said. He hurried back down to the lobby.

Gerard wrapped his arms around Frankie's neck and continued to cry. Frankie could feel tears forming in her own eyes as she awkwardly stroked the boy's hair. "Can we see her?"

Gerard nodded, pulling away from Frankie and leading her and Brendon into the room. Lindsey was laying down now, her chest barely rising with each attempt at a breath.

"No," Gerard whimpered. His eyes started to fill up again.

Frankie was just about to say something to Lindsey when Ryan entered the room, flanked by two doctors and Lindsey's parents. Mrs. Ballato took one look at her daughter and started to cry.