Chapter Eleven

The only thing the school was talking about on Monday was some Valentine's Day dance. There was a group of giggling girls standing in the corner when Gerard entered the school. He felt his cheeks heat up as one of then called out: "Hey Gee, wanna go to the dance with me?"

"Um, no thanks," Gerard said as politely as he could. He trained his eyes on the floor as he headed to his locker.

Lindsey was waiting for him there. "It's not even the end of January," she huffed in annoyance. "Four guys have already asked if I wanted to go with them."

"And what did you say?" Gerard teased, knowing very well she wouldn't hold hands with a boy if her life depended on it.

Lindsey wrinkled her nose. "Well, Bert gave me a note that said I'd love if you'd go straight to the dance with me or some cheesey shit like that, so I took the opportunity to make a gay joke."

"Of course you did," Gerard laughed at they walked to his class. "Are we doing the same thing this year?"

Lindsey looked surprised at his comment. "Really?"

Gerard was equally surprised as her. "Why wouldn't we?"

Lindsey shifted her weight uncomfortably. "I assumed you'd go with Frankie," she confessed.

Gerard's insides flipped. "No, we're..." he sighed. "She didn't think this whole 'dating' thing would work out."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lindsey said.

"It's alright," Gerard shrugged. "We're still friends. Dances aren't my thing, anyway. And I doubt they're Frankie's, either."

"Why did I even come to school this early?" Lindsey groaned as the bell rang. "My class isn't until noon."

"That's your own fault," Gerard laughed. "See ya."

Lindsey checked her watch. Three hours until her class started. She decided to go to the library, desperate to kill some time.

As she walked to the library, she remembered what Gerard had told her. He and Frankie weren't together anymore. They were never technically a couple, but she'd noticed how Frankie looked at him. She seemed to really like him, so why would she call it off? She'd noticed how Frankie would stare at him for no reason. She looked more comfortable around him.

Lindsey suddenly remembered what she saw on New Year's Eve. Oh.

Lindsey sighed sadly as she entered the library. She still hadn't told Frankie she saw him. She didn't know how she would take it.

She plopped herself down in front of one of the school's computers and clicked on the search bar. Trans boys, she typed out.

The first result that popped up was an article titled Why trannies will go to hell. Lindsey made a face. She hated that slur. "Tranny." It was just as bad as faggot, in her opinion.

She scrolled down some more and stumbled across a website that looked welcoming. The story of a boy who was trapped inside a girl's body. She clicked on the link.

The article was about a transgender boy who took the name Ray, after his grandfather. According to the paper, he came out to his mother at the age of eleven. She was very supportive of him and she tried her best to raise him like a boy. She helped him dress in public and enrolled him in sports. She even bought him an actual binder when noticing he did it wrong.

Lindsey let out a low whistle. Now that was the definition of good parenting.

She scrolled down some more and found two pictures. The first was a girl with long, wavy hair. Ray before transitioning, the caption read.