Chapter Twenty-One

"...and when summer starts, maybe you can come and visit," Gerard finished.

"That sounds cool," Mikey responded. "How's Frankie?"

The two brothers were currently Skyping, having it been a month and a half since they saw each other last. Gerard had been let out from school a week ago while Mikey still had a couple of days left.

He bit his lip. "She's good. Maybe not as good as usual, but..." he let out a sigh. "You know she's my– my boyfriend, right?"

Mikey's brow wrinkled. "Don't you mean girlfriend?"

"No, boyfriend," Gerard corrected. "You saw her– sorry, him– that day, he's a boy."

"Oh, right. I remember now."

"How's Europe?" Gerard asked, changing the subject.

"It's really nice," Mikey said. "Dad's house is huge, there's still times when I actually get lost. And school's cool, too, I've made some friends..."

But Gerard wasn't listening anymore. His father had appeared in the corner of the screen, dressed in a business suit. He lifted up his hat so Gerard could see his cold eyes. He stayed like that for a while, standing stiffly, not taking his eyes off of the two boys. It was starting to creep Gerard out.

"Anyway, I should get to school now," Mikey said, slinging his backpack over his shoulder. "What time is it there anyway?"

"Uh... two in the morning," Gerard said sheepishly. He laughed. "I should probably get to bed."

"Yeah, you do that." Mikey shot him a smile. "I miss you."

"Miss you too, kid." Gerard clicked the end call button.

---

Frankie woke up the next morning at five-thirty in the morning to her cellphone ringing. She rolled over to look at the caller ID and let out a groan.

"Fuck you, I'm tired," was her way of greeting.

"Well good morning to you, too," Brendon said back. "Just thought you'd like to know– Ray's flying in this afternoon."

Frankie bolted upright, suddenly wide awake. "What? You're– you're serious?"

"Dead serious. You're supposed to meet him at the local diner at six."

"Oh– oh god," Frankie stammered, stumbling out of bed. "Thanks for telling me, I– I need to get ready."

"This early?" Brendon snickered. "Dude, you have twelve hours."

"You– you don't understand. I need to shower, find my really good binder– shit, maybe I should buy one, get my mom out of the house, and–" she stopped. "Wait, what do I wear? Is this going to be formal? Should I wear my suit? I have one hidden in my closet–"

"Calm down," Brendon said. "No suit. A nice shirt and jeans would work."

"What about my mom? If she sees me trotting around in a binder and a wig, she'll flip out."

"Remember when we found your mom's number book or whatever it's called? The thing that's filled with a bunch of random dude's phone numbers?"

Frankie giggled. "Yeah."

"Call one of them and set up a date with him and your mom. That should keep her out."

"Right. Yeah, that would work," Frankie said distractedly, searching aimlessly in her drawers. "Thanks, Beebo."

Brendon scoffed in the other line. "I told you not to call me that!"

"Ryan does, why can't I?"

"Because he's my boyfriend!"