Chapter Two

"I'm home," Frankie called out, dropping her backpack on the floor.

Her mom poked her head into the room, a towel wrapped around her head and body. "Where were you?" She asked.

"I went out for coffee with some people I met today," Frankie said. She scanned her mother's body and sighed. "You're going out again?"

"I am, and would prefer if you didn't make any negative comments." The woman snapped, ducking back into the bathroom.

"I never said anything negative," Frankie retorted, heading to her room. "I'm actually quite happy for you." That was partially true. With her mom gone, she could finally be himself for the night.

Her mom glared at her suspiciously, but shrugged it off. "Whatever. Don't do anything you shouldn't. You can make your own food, right?"

Frankie shrugged. "'Kay."

"Oh, one more thing," her mom added, standing in the doorway, now in a sleek black dress. "I bought you a nice dress and makeup for Saturday. I want you to try it on tonight."

Frankie tensed up. "You know I don't like dresses, Mom."

"Well, you'll have to deal with it, because that banquet is important to me," she said. "And I need my daughter there so I can look good." She plastered a fake, tight smile on her lips. "You understand, right?"

"Sure."

"Good. Now go try on the dress, I never see you in one anymore." She walked back into her room.

Frankie closed her own door. There was a reason why she never wore dresses. She only wore skirts because her mother made her, and there was no way she would argue with her mom.

She glanced at the dress hanging on the closet hook. It was a light purple color with lace on the edges. That wasn't the thing that bothered her, however. It was the fact that the dress what strapless. She hated strapless, and her mother knew that.

She felt so exposed once the dress was on. It barely went to her knees and her shoulders were showing.

"Oh my god," Frankie whispered to herself, curling her hands around her shoulders. She'd heard of stories about boys who couldn't handle the exposure of shoulders, which was the stupidest thing in the world. Still, it made her worry.

She rummaged through one of her drawers, pulling out black shorts and a leather jacket. She put them on and examined her reflection. Now her shoulders would be covered. She could cope with this for the banquet.

She heard the front door open and shut, then the sound of her mother's car pulling out of the driveway. Perfect.

Frank ripped off the dress, pulling on a pair of skinny jeans that was hidden in his closet along with his binder. He ran into his bathroom, snapping on a hairnet and pulling on a dark brown wig and fastening it in place with bobby pins.

He decided to call Brendon. It was better than sitting in his room doing nothing.

"Hey Frankie," Brendon greeted when he picked up.

"Frank," the boy corrected.

"Sorry, Frank. I can't tell over the phone. So, what's up?"

"My mom's going out for the night," he explained. "You wanna come over? We could order a pizza, put on a horror film..."

There was a moment of silence. "Can Ryan come?" Brendon asked in a small voice.