Epilogue

The package containing all the information and contracts for my overseas work arrived the next day. I ripped into it with the anticipation of a five-year-old on Christmas morning. Everything I could have ever wanted to know about my job was detailed in the information, except, of course, who the book was actually going to be about. But there was a sealed envelope that said EXTREMEMLY CONFIDENTIAL. DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOU LEAVE US SOIL.

The package went on to explain that due to my minor celebrity status here in the US, and the press that had been known to follow me around, it was too much of a security risk to tell me before I left.

# # #

Somehow Jennifer found the time to move into the apartment and plan a surprise Bon Voyage party for me the night before I left for Europe. She rented a small back room at a little restaurant near our apartment.

Everyone even yelled surprise when they dragged me in.

All my favorite people were there, including Mattie and Jennifer and Jake. There were, however, a couple of people who were very noticeably missing. Calla, of course, and my mother, whom I was told was invited, but declined. She still hadn't talked to me since the newspaper article had come out, and only knew that I was leaving because Jennifer had phoned to invite her to the party.

The wine flowed and the food was to die for.

"Hey," Jake said walking up to me. "I didn't think I'd get a moment alone with you, with all these people around. You're quite the popular gal."

"Yes, don't you know I'm famous now?" I leaned up and gave him a kiss.

"Are you sure you want to jet off to England without even a thought as to what your boyfriend thinks?" he said with a wink.

"Oh, my boyfriend, hey? Is that what you're calling yourself now?" I asked. "Well, you'd better be careful about hooking up with me. In my life, the paparazzi can be brutal."

"Ah yes, the paparazzi. That really must be a nuisance for you," he teased.

"Hello lovebirds," Jennifer said, coming up to us.

"Hey Jen. Thanks so much for doing all this. I can't believe you had the time. You're the only person I know who can move their entire apartment and plan a party in three days."

"Eh, it was nothin'," she said shrugging it off. "What's a little lost sleep between friends? Besides, Mattie helped a lot."

"You can always count on Mattie."

I looked around at the guests. She had thought of everyone. Except I noticed that Dave was missing.

"Jennifer! Why didn't you bring Dave?"

"I wanted to, but he flew out last night."

"Oh, that's where you were," I said. "I thought I heard you come in awfully late."

"Well, you two aren't the only ones who need to get in their cuddle time. We ordered in, if you know what I mean."

Jake and I smiled.

"And then I drove him to the airport."

"Aw, and you wasted time planning all this for me?"

"Planning a party is never time wasted," she said. "Especially if alcohol is involved. Where is that waiter anyway?" she asked, walking away to find a little liquid comfort.

"So, how long do you think we should stick around before I can take you home and ravage you for hours? It's going to feel like a long time before I see you again."