Chapter 3

I clicked on my email hoping to find a nice little joke or encouraging note from Calla—writing in the disaster diary was kind of depressing—but instead I found a new address in the inbox, .

I gasped. Then looked around to make sure nobody had seen me. My first wedding email. It kind of sickened me to realize that I was actually starting to come around to the idea of being a Bridesmaid for Emma VanHorn. I mean, I would be hanging out with the New York glitterati. I might, for a short time even become one of them. What if, even after the wedding was over, my fifteen minutes of fame continued on? What if I became the glitterati!

Oh Lord. Get out the notebook, you're going insane.

I rolled my eyes and opened the email.

Dear Rebecca, Bobbi Lynne, Jennifer, and Josephine,

First off, I'd like to congratulate you all on becoming my Bridesmaids! This is the first of many weekly update emails that you all will receive in your journey as my attendants. I hope to hear regular updates from your end as well. I just wanted to send a quick good luck to you all, but please remember, while we all wish Jake the utmost happiness, always keep in mind what this day is truly about, a celebration of love between my fiancé and myself. In one week's time you will receive your initiation package that will answer any remaining questions you may have.

Please find the attached forms which you are required to fill out. You may need assistance with some of the measurements.

Also attached is your invitation to our engagement party which is being held this weekend. You will need to print it and have it with you the evening of the party as it is closed to the general public. It is a formal occasion, so dress appropriately, and please do try to look your best as the press will be in attendance. I will be wearing red, so I would appreciate if you all would refrain from doing the same.

In conclusion, congratulations, and I look forward to meeting all of you at the engagement party.

Your bride,

Emma VanHorn

A party already? And formal attire? I couldn't believe it. How much was this wedding actually going to cost me? I certainly didn't have the budget for a formal gown by the weekend!

I groaned out loud. Which of course made Mattie to lean back in his chair and peek into my cubicle.

"What's wrong gorgeous? Fame not all it's cracked up to be?"

I rolled my eyes. "Come in here, you have got to see this."

He jumped up, always willing to take an unscheduled break, and stood behind me. He mumbled quietly aloud as he read the email.

He sighed. "You are so lucky."

"Lucky? I have to find something to wear to this party this weekend. I don't have the cash for that!" I spun around to face him.

Mattie shook his head and put his hands on his hips. "Don't you worry for a second, Mattie's here. I am officially appointing myself your personal consultant for the duration of this magical experience."

"Oh yeah. Magical. I'm going to magically watch the funds from my bank account disappear."

"I told you not to worry didn't I?" he said. "You're coming with me after work. We are going to find you something gorgeous. And cheap."

He walked away exaggerating the flamboyancy of his walk even more.

"How are you going to find something that I can afford?"