Chapter 4

Mattie spent most of Saturday primping and combing, plucking and tweaking, getting me all set for the big night. The engagement party was so close now I could taste it, and I was doing a really good job not getting too worked up about it. As Mattie did me up, Calla calmed me down. I really was working with a great team.

"If only I could have you guys there with me," I said.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine," Calla said.

"You'll be spectacular," Mattie corrected.

"Thanks," I said. "But don't tell me that. I can't afford to start thinking of this as an important night, or I'll barf all over my Dolce and Gabana."

Mattie, Calla, and I had all decided that it was best to enter with a bang and really knock their socks off the first night.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression," Mattie kept saying.

Although even I had to admit, I was one hot mamma in that dress. The dress itself was pretty busy so I didn't need much for accessories. A small clutch and fabulous teal shoes were all we chose. Mattie had done a great job on my hair. I couldn't believe he hadn't let me in on his little hair secret ages ago.

"You know, you really could do this for a living," I said checking out the back with a second mirror.

"I know," was all he said, spraying me with another burst of ultra hold.

Emma VanHorn was sending a limo for each of the girls so we could all make our first appearances in style. My stomach churned while I waited. All I could do was breathe and try to stop my insides from vibrating.

"Oh my gosh," Calla said. "Even I'm nervous."

"Shhh," Mattie said. "We're not talking about that remember?"

"Sorry."

"It's okay guys," I said. "At least if we're talking about it, I don't have to think over all the horrid things that could happen."

"Nothing is going to happen," Calla said. "You are so going to look better than anybody there."

"Oh God," I said. "I better not have a nicer dress than Emma VanHorn! She'll kick me out of the wedding party!"

"I wouldn't worry about that," Mattie said. "She wears designer everyday. She probably had something done custom just for tonight."

"Right. You're right. Okay, just breathe," I told myself.

I took several deep breaths.

"Just try to remember that this night doesn't matter. Enjoy yourself. All you have to do is get through these parties, get to the wedding, and you'll have your trip," Calla said.

"Right. It doesn't matter," I tried to tell myself.

The apartment buzzer went off. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Yes?" Calla said pressing the button.

"Driver for Miss Josephine McMaster," the voice came through the intercom.

"She'll be right down," Calla said.

I pulled a delicate shawl over my shoulders and headed down the stairs, which was no small feat in the shoes and the form-fitting dress. I glanced back one more time but was not reassured. Instead of watching me go, they were giving each other worried looks. Mattie was saying something I couldn't hear.

I almost turned back around.

"You can do this," I said to myself and continued down the stairs. As I reached the lobby, the driver smiled at me and said, "You look beautiful Miss. McMaster."