Chapter 17

Dear Disaster Diary,

Where are you? I wrote on a blank piece of paper. Today is my big day and you aren't even here for me. Sigh. I suppose I must have left you out in the living room or something. Too bad I don't have time to look for you – because today is the big day!

I set down the scrap of paper and stretched, not really ready to wake up yet, but my spa appointment was fast approaching. And when I thought about it, that was definitely something worth waking up for.

I quickly showered and got dressed and rushed out to the spa, not bothering with makeup or my hair.

They fed each of us breakfast and coffee, which I was in dire need of to help wake me up. I wasn't used to getting up so early, especially after I had spent the last four days sleeping in since I had no job to go to. I figured I deserved a few days of sleeping in. After all, I hadn't slept in much in the past five years since college.

What started out as a wonderfully relaxing spa day, soon turned into a whirlwind of primping, painting, pulling, prodding, and coiffing. I had no idea that you could walk out of a spa about ten times more stressed than you were going in. And of course I was paired with Bobbi Lynne for absolutely everything. Jennifer looked about as pleased as I was to be paired with Rebecca.

Finally we were free to go, but not really, because cars were already there to pick us up and take us home to get changed into our Bridesmaid dresses. We only had twenty minutes at home and fifteen more to get to the hall.

Gary was my driver, as usual. I rushed into my building and was greeted by Mattie in the lobby.

"Hey," he said. "Is that my handsome future boyfriend out there?"

"You're sounding a little less tongue tied over Gary today." I flashed him a mischievous smile.

He swatted my arm lightly. "Oh shush. Can I help it if I get a little floopy over someone? It could be love at first sight you know."

"Really?" I looked at him over my shoulder as I headed towards the stairs. "I don't think I've ever heard you use the word love before."

"I know," he said rushing behind me. "Did he say anything about me?"

"Are we in junior high? Are you gonna meet him behind the bleachers after third period?"

He leaned into me, pushing me lightly into the wall.

"Whoa, careful there Mattie, this hairdo took forever."

"Sorry," he said. "You look great by the way."

"I was wondering when you were gonna notice," I said.

"Well, it's hard to notice anything when a firm piece of man candy like that is nearby."

"Firm piece of man candy. Now that's a picture."

I unlocked the door and tossed my keys on the side table. "Just wait 'til I get dressed, I'll be so fabulous, you'll forget all about my driver."

He raised an eyebrow. "I don't doubt that you will look fabulous, but I do doubt that I'm going to forget about Gary down there," he said, peeking through the curtains.

I giggled. "Nice little spy act you've got going on there."

"Oh shush," he said. He stood on his toes to get a better view of the street while trying to stay hidden from view.

"He doesn't even know which window is mine," I yelled, as I headed down the hall to my room.

"Whatever," he yelled.