Chapter 5

Work was weird the next day. Everyone was staring and pointing at me like I was some kind of celebrity. Even the people I knew. I was told that my picture made it into some of the entertainment papers and of course 'Entertainment News' had been advertising an exclusive look into the engagement party later on the evening broadcast.

I tried to hole up in my cubicle and not think about it too much, though I couldn't stop Jake Hall from creeping into my mind.

Eventually, I clicked open my email. There is was again, .

Dear Bridesmaids,

What a wonderful evening it was last night, no? I had such a great time getting to know all of you and I'm looking even more forward to all the planning and get-togethers.

And now for your first Bridesmaid assignment...

What? There are assignments?

I would like to leave it up to you all to come up with a fantastic Bachelorette Party idea. As you can well imagine, my fiancé Alan will no doubt be holding some sort of gigantic and tasteless display for his Bachelor Party, so I'd like to do something really over the top too. Of course money will be no issue, so please, be creative with your ideas. The Bridesmaid who comes up with the best idea will win a prize.

Oooh, prize. I like prizes.

The deadline for the Bachelorette contest will be Friday at 5pm. We really have to get a move on the planning.

Your Bride,

Emma VanHorn

P.S. The first fittings for your Bridesmaid dresses will begin in a few weeks, so please remember to watch those diets girls.

"Hello darling, oh famous one," Mattie said, coming in to sit down on my desk.

"Where were you this morning?" I asked.

"Well Calla and I were up late waiting for you, and you were taking forever and well, I needed my beauty sleep."

"You slept in!" I said. "You mean I made it in to work on time and you didn't!"

"Well yes. And it shows my dear. Just look at those bags. You'd better wear some über huge sunglasses home. You never know when the paparazzi might show up."

"Thanks," I said unenthusiastically. "Your concern really warms my heart."

"You're welcome," he said jumping off my desk, choosing to ignore my sarcasm. "Whacha got there?" he asked, peering at my computer screen. "Oooh, another wedding email! How exciting."

"Yeah, I have to come up with some Bachelorette idea or something."

"Oh my gosh, that sounds like so much fun," he said. Apparently he was waaaay more excited about it than I was.

"What are you going to suggest?" he asked.

I shrugged. "I dunno, I guess I'll have to think about it for a while."

"Yeah, that's good. You have 'til Friday," he said pointing to the screen. "That should give you lots of time to come up with something fantastic!"

"Pfft. I don't know anything about Bachelorette Parties. What am I going to come up with?"

"Just be creative."

He exited my cubicle in a flourish. But he'd made me even more nervous. I wondered if I should start brainstorming right away.

"Club hopping?" I said to myself. "No, too generic. Remember, cost is not a factor."

I tapped my mouth with my pen. "I wonder if something like hiring a psychic or something would be fun?"