vingt neuf

7:26

"When do you get out?"

I jump to look in my backseat. "What the hell are you doing?"

Rae climbs over the center console and drops into the front seat.

No wonder my car was so cold.

"I was bored and wanted to take an adventure," she shrugs.

I take deep breaths to calm myself.
She nearly gave me a heart attack.

"We can take an adventure when I get home! You don't have to sneak into my car and drive to school with me!"

She rolls her eyes, "chill out-"

"I'm pretty fucking chilled." I half joke-half growl.

She stares at me blankly. "Ha-ha, very funny. Anyway, I was going to say that I wanted to come to school. I want to see everybody and venture around."

"Rae, I don't know if you know this, but you're dead. If anyone saw you I'm sure they'd go into a panic attack."

"I can walk through walls." She crosses her arms over her chest.

"Then why do you always climb through my window?"

She shrugs and looks away stiffly, "I mean, I- I don't know."

I laugh and she tries not to. "So you can't walk through walls?"

She falls back into the seat and looks at me, "no. I just thought it would be cool."

I shake my head and pull the key out of the ignition. "Well, I'm going to go inside. You can stay out here if you'd like, but I might get boring."

She looks at the people walking into the building, then at her lap. "I'll just walk somewhere. I don't want to have anyone go into panic, you know?"

I reach over and ruffle her hair, "you're cute. I'll be out at two-forty. Meet me here?"

Rae takes my hand off her head and fixes her hair. "And you're annoying. I don't know when that is, but I'll hang in your house to keep track of time."

"Shouldn't you have some kind of like, built in clock? By observing the light or something?"

Her eyebrows furrow and her eyes narrow.
I laugh and she shakes her head.

"You're literally so dumb," she says.

I roll my eyes, "shut up."

I move to climb out of the car and I feel Rae's hand grab my arm. "Promise you'll be here?"

I bend to look at her between the car and the door, "I don't know where else I'd go."

She lets go of my arm, the place her fingers were instantly warms, "I mean, Jessa could ask you to go somewhere. I don't know, just go to school."

I smile and lean over my seat.
I press a soft kiss to her cheek.
She tries to hide her smile and it is unbelievably adorable.

"I promise," I assure her.

Her smile falters a bit but she nods.
I close my door and begin walking toward the building.
I glance back and see Rae's feet on my dash.

Classy, Rae.
Really classy.

::