douze

8:42

Rae and I walk back to my house in silence.
When we get to the road, she stops and bids me a goodbye.
I smile at her and walk across the street.
I look at my driveway and see my car.

Oh my God.

A huge grin breaks out over my face and I pick up my pace slightly.
My beautiful black Acura is here.
I walk by it as I walk up to the house.

"Mom!" I call when I open the door.

She comes out of the hallway with a scowl on her face. "You didn't tell me you were going anywhere."

The glee in my heart has been replaced with guilt.

"I know, Mom, I'm sorry. Time slipped away from me and I fell asleep. It won't happen again, I promise."

She sighs and shakes her head, "you're lucky I trust you. Now, here is your key."

She holds out my car key and places it in my hand. I smile again and she smiles with me.

"How did you get it here?" I ask.

"I talked to your father and he said he'd drive it up. I took him to the airport this morning." She explains.

My next emotion is anger and it comes with the mention of my father.

"You drove that piece of shit to the airport?" I question.

"Harry!" She gasps.

"Sorry, I just don't get it."

"Harry, he's your father and it was very kind of him to drive sixteen hours to give you your car. Even if you weren't here to thank him."

"I mean, yeah, thanks for bringing my car, but how could you just let him stay here after what he did?"

My mom looks around for a moment, "I got over it. We parted ways and it's better now. He's living his life, and I'm living mine."

"He was just so heartless."

"And now he's alone in a big house by himself. What goes around, comes around, Harry, never forget that."