Chapter 5

“I was so afraid when he asked for you to be brought forward. I even thought that if it was Mina, perhaps it could have been alright. It might sound selfish and cruel but well you see, Mina already knew the game. She’s been there, and I was hoping as well that she’d wake up from it. But you, not that you are ignorant but yes, probably you are. Well as I was saying, when Lune did that, I wanted to question him. I don’t really understand what was going on inside his head. I thought he hated you but I believe he have his own reasons. Mina was the one who held me back, suddenly saying it’s okay, that you will be fine. As I was watching Lune attack you, I believed her. The blows might have been too much for you but believe me, he was holding back on his own strength as much as he could. I’ve seen him truly gave death to others so believe me” he looked at me as if pleading then went on.

“When you were not fighting back, I know he was afraid that they’ll stop the fight and just kill you instantly with their own hands. So before that happens, he let you drank the potion to keep you numb and let you fall down your slumber and make your heart weak so they couldn’t hear its beating, until we could get the chance to take you. Of course I never knew of this until the whole place broke out and Ariz came to take us somewhere so we could hide….”

“When you fell down, the guards escorted Lune out of the cage but before they could lay their hands on him, they all fell down dead. It was like what happened to Mina probably. He killed whoever came near and there was a riot and a fire started. His eyes were searching us and when he saw Ariz with us, he then stopped fighting and let them take him away. They gagged him and he was in thorns and chains. They took him without any more restraint. I believe it was then too much for Shayne and with that, she fled our hiding place crying and ran away until the guards looking for us saw her….”

There was a choke on his voice as he stopped. I couldn’t picture what has been the fate of Shayne. I didn’t urge him to go on any further. Mina was composed as she was sitting there, listening to things she already knew.

“When Shayne was caught, we had to leave. We couldn’t save her anymore lest we would take the risk of losing everything” it was Ariz now who went on with the story of what happened.

“You might still be wondering how I came to be in here with you. I was the one who took Lune from her mother, though, she was already dead that time and Lune was just a young innocent boy beside the woman’s decapitated body. I was an avowed soldier back then so I took him without care and dumped him in the prison where he grew up. He must have been a mere mortal for me, I never saw him draw out his wings. I was just doing my duty but I grew fond of all his bitter remarks that finally, I was, let’s say, poisoned by his words.

 I didn’t become a guardian to him but I was always watching. I never spoke to him like I did that time when he was taken out of the chamber. I was on guard and I was surprised to see him once more and without hesitation, he asked me to do something for him. Of course I spite his words but I didn’t believe he was discouraged. He knew I’d come to do his bidding. And I did. It’s funny though how he seems to manipulate and now he is out there somewhere. This time, I wonder if he could buy out his innocence” Ariz said those last words as if in prayer.

I was listening to them speak about Lune but still, it’s as if I do not know him. There is still that mystery of which he really is that I would like to unlock. And where did he learn my name. Did he just pick it out knowing that I don’t really have one? Who does he think he is to decide on this? Again, I felt that burning passion to hurt him. I don’t understand why he did what he did and I might have been grateful that Lotuz and Mina were safe, but I thought he could have just killed me then.

“Do you think he is still alive?” it was all I could ask within the silence of my companions. Lotuz looked at Ariz expectantly. Mina’s eyes were distant and I couldn’t read them. She was talking about Lune’s promise the first time she spoke and I couldn’t figure out what she truly mean by it.

“I honestly don’t know” Ariz said without meeting my gaze.

“Let me tell you something, I don’t understand much but I believe that for some reason, Lune wants to keep you alive Cien. He must have read through your soul and found something for his own benefits…” he laughed a little as if what he just said is something humorous. “Same thing he did to me I guess. I just wonder what that benefit is. You think you have an idea?” his eyes seem to sparkle as he looked at me.

I shook my head a little, quite mystified with these ongoing conversation. “No, I don’t have any idea. But he called my name”

Lotuz’ eyes became bright suddenly. “Yes I remember you don’t have a name the first time you were brought to us!” he blurted out excitedly. “But I thought it was you who finally remembered.” Again, I shook my head.

“Your hands are cold” Mina whispered to me as she took my hands in hers and rubbed them so I could get warmth. My mind’s still wandering off trying to decipher something else about Lune but everything is going on in a haze. I looked at Mina, wanting to ask her about the promise she mentioned but I couldn’t find my words. I let it off until I finally forgot about it.

Ariz stood up and drew the tattered curtain just above the bunk and I realized there was a small opening like a window covered with pieces of woods. The cold air blew from there and outside, the bright moon seemed hidden. There was only that eerie glow of black and red that could have been their dawn. I wonder what lies in the shadows beyond. Ariz peered outside then let the curtain fall once more.

“It looks safe outside but it won’t last. We have to get all the rest we could before we leave this place” and as he was saying this, he was already blowing out the candles and Lotuz was laying down some blanket on the ground which appeared to be some sort of cloaks he rummaged from the camp. In there we laid down as I let Mina take the much comfortable bunk.

The last candle was finally blown out and I could hear the soft breathing of Lotuz who now appears to be asleep. My eyes were still wide awake and my mind still at work. I was thinking about our strawberry-beauty Cerise and our tigress Shayne. I wanted to cry for them like they were already dead but my eyes remained dry. And what of Lune who might still be there somewhere? Receiving his punishment for his insolence? Somehow I hoped to see him still, if only to speak with him. It could have been glorious had I not have this feeling of despise which is inexplicable.