Chapter 14

I woke up in the dark clutching my bag. The night was cold and I was alone in the corner of the sidewalk. My mind was in frenzy as I looked around. It was as if my eyes would catch the shadow of Mina but to my utter dismay, there was not a single soul around. I want to know where she is or how she ended. I need to know. I have to find Lune. But how?

In my desperation, I prayed. I didn’t know to whom was it addressed but I did this fervently. I prayed in the name of Ariz, I prayed to fate and destiny, I prayed for the shadow of Lune. I believe I even prayed to the two angels who had come down to earth to find me. I wanted suddenly to belong to anyone who knew of my misery. I believe I have cried again that night.

It’s been a fortnight since I left the solitary house of Aunt Maggie. I didn’t realize I was already fingering the piece of paper where she had scribbled her telephone number hastily. I felt bad to realize I couldn’t find a pay phone until daybreak so I decided to close my eyes and go back to sleep.

In the morning, I felt lighter than usual as I slowly tread back the path I have taken. It will take me around three days to finally see the familiar silhouette of the woman waiting for me. I had heard her voice over the telephone and I couldn’t believe what I told her; that I am coming home, and so I was on my way back to her. I believed she was the answer to what I prayed to fate. I realized I was not yet ready to find me or whoever I need to seek. I need to be home to her.

My strides became longer as I drew nearer. It was dusk and I know she’d be waiting for me for supper. And as I saw the shadow of the house looming in the distance, I was already running.

I stopped by the front porch. My heart was beating incessantly. I suddenly felt the strong presence inside the house. It was waiting for my arrival. I dragged my feet towards the door until I was enveloped by the darkness. I could smell the fragrant wood that emanates from the dying embers in the kitchen. It was all over the house like a familiar, and along with it, I caught the scent of angel blood. It was mingled with something else, much sweeter than that of the two who had spoken to me the previous nights.

I stepped closer towards the open room of Aunt Maggie, and there he was, a tall figure in a black Dominican robe. If his hair wasn’t tied long behind him, I would have believed him to be a real priest. Through the dim light coming from the soft lamp, I could see his hands were covered in blood, and so was the bible in his hand. His back was almost towards me and I could only see the profile of his face. He appears to be standing over the bed, and as I shifted my gaze from him, I saw Aunt Maggie lying down and appear to be sleeping. But I knew then that she breath no more.

I suddenly grew furious and without any other words I attacked the priest with the dagger; its blade cutting through his robe and into his back. We both toppled right on the foot of the bed and he was able to dodge my second attack but I could tell I was able to score with the first one. Before I could give my third blow, he spoke.

“It was no use Cien. It’s all done”

My blood was frozen. The voice came back to me like it’s been from million years of memory. Then I saw his face. He was clearly in pain and this had struck me to be uncommon. He still looked me in the eye though, and his mouth curved into a familiar smile. I remembered how those lips had once covered me with his poison and I felt my face grew hot. Why do I always see him in his beauty? It was maddening! I was backing away from him as he collected himself and stood up achingly with the wound I had created.

He reached into his pocket and popped a piece of black candy into his mouth like this was the most natural thing he could do. It was clear that he was taking it easy on me. I thought my eyes were brimming again with tears as I take a glimpse of the dead woman but my eyes stayed dry. The smile on Lune’s face was already gone and it was replaced by the same old apathetic look

 I broke away from his gaze and for a moment forgot that he was there. I run to the side of the woman lying peacefully on the bed. She appeared to be sleeping, if not just because of her bosom which appeared to be shot right through by a number of bullets. I don’t see any struggle in her except for some wounds on her dainty hands which I believe were from fragments of broken glass.

“Why Lune? What is your purpose?” I couldn’t bear to look at him once more. I didn’t hear his answer but I saw a glimpse of his shadow rummaging the small drawer of Aunt Maggie as he finally took out some bills and cards and left it on the table just beside me. Then I heard his footsteps backing out of the room. No I wouldn’t let him get away this time. I took the things he left, I knew he wants me to take them and I knew I’d need the bills, and then run after him.

The moon was already out lingering in the dark shadows when I got out of the house. Lune was standing there in front of the porch as if waiting for me. He was lighting up a cigarette and finally as I step out, the house was already in fire. I was quite amazed of his display of energy for I believed that was one of his tricks.

“You could learn to do that as well” I heard him say as he was blowing the smokes into the air.

“Oh please, let me kill you!” I remarked with gritted teeth as I started attacking him. I was pleased to see that he was caught off guard by this and that I was able to hold his throat like a madman. I shoved him to the ground and we both fell down as I toppled on top of him, my gripped hands never leaving his frail neck. He tried to push me back and I realized that my physical strength is much superior to his this time!

The moon shone brighter and the house was already in a blaze. I was able to see him clearly now. His long black hair was all in tangles as it was released by the thin band of lace. I saw as well that the front of the habit he wore was slightly ripped and that he smelt of his own blood! He was already wounded even before I came. There were ugly scratches on his shoulder blade and I knew I haven’t caused this, and as I dig deeper into his skin, I could feel no restraint. The better to kill him then, I thought. He was trying to push me back but I was much stronger.

“Why don’t you put me in flames as well like what you just did back there, huh?” I was totally boiling inside. I wanted him to fight me as well! I was about to hit his face when I felt the other presence around us. I stopped for a while. Lune took no action even though my grip loosened that he could yank me aside had he wished to.

“That could’ve been easy but it will just spoil the fun” Lune said. Then my hands were on thin air and I am alone on the ground. Lune had finally summoned his black wings and was now flapping it above me in slow rhythm like he couldn’t hold himself up. And as fast as I perceived him to be lost in my hands had I heard the noises. The other presence has finally shown itself and I could see them attacking Lune with invisible wind as he successfully dodge each blow. I realized these had caused those wounds I saw in him as it somehow passed through my face leaving it with a paper-cut wound.

The winds were howling and I could hear the flapping of wings, shadows of black and white. There were three of them who are attacking Lune in the air. The other one suddenly swooped down towards me and in just a few seconds I was lying down my back and I was facing an angel of much feminine beauty. She was stooping down at me with her long brown hair flowing through my face. Her amber eyes were burning right through me. She was ready to plunge down her sword right to my chest when she was distracted by the hails of her companions. Seems like Lune had gotten away and the other two angels were now after him. She finally stood up and I was back on my feet as well. She seemed torn on killing me or chasing Lune as she glanced towards the dark sky and back to me. I wanted to speak to her but my tongue was tied and that my head was in turmoil. She was already in the air before I could decide on what to do.

I was trying to catch my breath and I couldn’t believe that they’ll just ignore me like this. And yes, how dare them to get in between me and Lune! With these thoughts, I could feel the stirring behind me; it was the desire to fly. And there it was, the evidence of my father’s seed, proud and white. I flapped it once, twice. And before I knew it, I was already trailing their footsteps in the wind.