Chapter 3

It was like an endless procession. We were all tied to each other in a single file as the guards trudge alongside. I could feel the cold air biting through my skin. I know we were finally outside the prisons. The blindfolds were still there wrapping us in darkness, but I could hear or rather, smell the others. Lotuz was walking blindly in front of me and I can hear the scrambling feet of Cerise behind me. I could almost hear Shayne’s muffled cries and Mina’s silence, but I couldn’t feel the presence of Lune no matter what.  As I walked along, I remembered Kahel. Where is he now? Why’d he not educate me about things I ought to know? Not even my name. But then again, how could he possibly do so in those sudden turn of events? It wasn’t his fault I thought. Then again, there was that surge of pain I’ve been denying. Was it possible that he was left dead somewhere? Then the pain left me, and there was only sadness and hopelessness.

At last, the procession stopped to a halt. My hands and feet were then freed from the shackles that bound me from the others. They took off the blindfolds and it took me several seconds to adjust my eyes from the darkness. We were brought to a camp like those of the gypsies I remember from back home. A great campfire was nestled in the center. There were large cages almost occupying the whole camp, and what lonely souls were in it? I tried to peer inside one as the guards shoved us past them. I saw queer creatures. Webbed-winged creatures peering back in silent hostility. Demons, the word automatically registered inside my head as if I’ve known it for a lifetime. I caught something else in the air. Mixed with the salty scent of the demon’s blood was the thick and warm scent of something else out of that place. Mortals. Yes, there were humans in those cages!

I noticed the same agitation I felt in my companions. Shayne’s eyes were quick, and so were Mina’s. Why are there humans in here? Are they still flesh and blood or merely souls? Sufferings, I’ve felt it like a disease.

Angels were everywhere. All were beautiful, radiant, and proud. They were drinking, eating, merrymaking. Then I remembered, we haven’t eaten anything yet since we left the chamber. The crumbs of bread they gave us before couldn’t sustain our hunger, and now I could feel the churning inside my mortal stomach.

“Move!” one of the guards suddenly pushed me forward, brushing my wings painfully. I noticed the blood staining my poor raiment by the right shoulder. I might’ve been wounded somewhere but it doesn’t matter. I took another step following Lotuz. I noticed his feet were now covered in blood. He looked back and smiled as if saying it’s okay. I realized, he’d been clearing out the path for us all along, brushing off the sharp stones along the way with his bare feet while we were trudging blindly behind him! I suddenly felt awful. Given the chance, I would’ve kissed his wounds right there and then. Cerise was on the verge of crying. She saw it too. It was then that someone grabbed her by her long strawberry hair and yanked her away from us. Before I could move, Lotuz grabbed my wrist with his trembling hand.

“It’s dangerous” he whispered. I couldn’t speak. I don’t know what to do so I just watched Cerise being dragged into a near tent by some wingless angels. Cerise was struggling but she never looked at us or even called out for our help. She looked so frail but I thought she was tough. Yet I couldn’t help but not ignore her screams as she was once again bounded in rags from her torn dress. I tried to pull away from Lotuz but his grip was stronger than before, his face was flushed and his cheeks were stained with dirt and tears. His large brown eyes were in pain and pleading for me not to interfere. Shayne’s frail arms were wrapped around me from behind as well. She was crying behind me. I couldn’t see Cerise anymore and all I heard was her last piercing scream from inside the tent and the seeming laughter of everyone who made a good sport of her.

“Cerise….I’m sorry. I’m so sorry…” it was all I could say as we were pushed through again into one of those waiting carts to take us away somewhere. The bright moon never changed. It was the same red moon I saw when I was with Kahel and when we were separated. Nobody spoke a word as we rode that filthy cart. There were only four of us now and I know where they’ll be taking us, yet I dreaded the fact. I went into yet another dreamless slumber until I felt the journey stopped and we were there in a clearing. I let them dragged me out without any more restraint. I was weak and hungry, and defeated.