seventeen

November 14, 2012

Dear Diary,

I don't know if it gets much better then this. They say things happen for a reason and maybe this was why. I still remember the day we met when I was late to the library and was locked out. He was busking on the street when he noticed me and I him. I've never met someone like him, I've never had the kind of fun we had had with anyone else.

Last night we moved the furniture so we could dance and he danced with me with the music blaring for the neighbors to hear. None of it matter though because we didn't care about anything but that moment. I can still picture him leading me while he danced around the small living room he shared with his roommates. I hope my whole life feels like it did last night because I don't ever want to let that go.

"What are you doing?" Niall came up from behind me finding my lips to kiss them.

"Reading my old diary." I smiled with my eyes still lingering on the pages that held my poor penmanship from college. The little entry had brought a smile to my face imagining the entire scene between Niall and I. I was truly happy with him and he loved me more then I could even understand.

"Ah! I don't think so! For my eyes only." I shut the Tiffany blue book and closing my legs from crossed legged when I saw Niall leaning in to read my hand writing.

"Did you write about how dreamy I was? Oh his blue eyes are so beautiful!" He mocked playfully clasping his arms around my waist.

"Wouldn't you want to know!" I teased back giggling from his hold on me and the tone of voice he used to imitate me.

Putting the book down when Niall peppered me with kisses the box of photos caught his eye. Eyeing one picture that was peeking out from under my second diary he laid his chin on my shoulder and with one hand pulled the picture out from under the diary.

"Remember this?" Niall asked me holding the polaroid up to the both of us.

I observed the image picking up details that were easily distinguishable. Niall had me from behind with his arms gripped around my waist while I was laughing doing my best to get away in the snapshot. We were standing on a dock with the lake and sunset making it the perfect picture worthy moment. The setting was easy to recognize since it was my parents dock, we owned a second house that backed up to a private lake to the owners and renters of the homes. I wore a high waisted swimsuit with my hair in a messy ponytail with curly strands loose. Niall stood holding me in a blue swimsuit that complimented him nicely in the scheme of it all.

"That was at my parents dock." I expressed giving vague answers that would suffice Niall's questions.

"I remember that day, that night Parker, Arabella, you, and I  all played truth or dare around the campfire. You dared me to swim to the tree and back naked and somehow that turned into Parker and I racing to the tree while skinny dipping. You took both mine and Parker's clothes and I can still remember you and Arabella laughing." Niall reminisce in the memories I wish I knew about, they all seemed so fond. The story brought a smile to my lips and a small giggle knowing that would be something I would do. This story brought a hunger to know more, for Niall to tell me more memories of the past.

Taking out the second diary the large canvas of pictures were still left scattered around the bottom of the box. Looking over at Niall I watched him light up at all the memories that were held up in the box.

"You kept these?" He asked me with a smile that I couldn't help but melt over.

"These are our paper memories." I smiled bringing the box to my lap where I sat indian style. Picking through some photos Niall picked up another one that was set at my parents summer home by the dock.

Parker and I were covered in mud while laughing at each other, the shot was yet another candid. Parker and I both stood in a mud pile with our feet dug into the slop and our swimsuits and exposed skin covered in the thick brown mud. I laughed at the image when Niall brought it up to our view.

"Parker!" I rolled my eyes with a smile still present on my lips remembering the times we had together at the summer house. The things we used to do, the pranks we pulled on others as well as each other.

"Your face when he pushed you in was priceless." Niall laughed his contagious laugh that got me going as well even though I had no idea what my face was contorted to in the situation.

"how would you like to be pushed into a mud puddle?" I asked Niall who followed up with an arched brow.

"You didn't seem too upset by it judging by the picture." Niall observed to which I complied looking over the laugh I was sharing with Parker in the disgusting brown mess.

"Look at you!" I picked up another picture that stood out to the eye. It was a photo of Niall with whipped cream on his hand as well as his face with Arabella laughing in the background along with me.

"Oh God." He laughed along with me seeing his annoyed facial expression. He was laying on the couch to which I can assume sleeping when Arabella, Parker, and I pulled a prank on the sleeping boy. Face turning red from my now cackling I found it hard to breathe through my constant laughing. "You guys were so annoying! I was so tired from school and fell asleep only to wake up to you assholes and your whip cream!"

Not able to stop laughing from his comment over the whole situation I could feel Niall laughing with me from his moving chest that was up against my back.

After composing myself and putting the photo back into the box I thumbed through a few more pictures coming to a lump under a few photos. Furrowing a brow I removed the few photos that were covering up a small object beanthe them.

Eyes widening at what I found I picked up and observed the silver ring complete with a tiny diamond. Holding it between two fingers my eyes seemed to be drawn to the sparkle giving off the small diamond ring. Looking over at Niall I had hoped he would explain what this ring was for.

"We were sitting on the beach by the water. You wore my t- shirt because you told me you were cold, it was like it had happened yesterday. I gave you a speech about wanting you to be mine and you had told me that you were mine from day one. I was so scared you have no idea." Niall began to tell the story behind the dainty ring. "I told you that I couldn't give you all of me at the moment but asked if you would wait for me. You told me that someone worth having is worth the wait. You promised me that you weren't going anywhere."

Although I don't remember the event I could picture it all in my head. I could picture us sitting there by the water on the beach while Niall asked me to wait for him, presenting a ring to me that would remind me to keep my promises to him.

"How did you know it was me? How did you know I was the one rather than just another girl?" This was a questioned I begged to ask Harry as well. Was it something you just knew or something developed over time? Maybe I would get the chance to ask Harry someday.

"How did I know?" Niall sat and pondered for a few seconds before answering the posed question.  "When I saw you that day you were locked out of the library and saw your beautiful brown eyes I knew that it was you. I knew from the moment I laid my eyes on you that it was you, you were someone that no one could forget. You left a permanent mark on me and I was reminded of it every time I looked at you. Our love was something you don't just forget over time and that was what set you apart from any other girl." I was inspired by the way he answered the question so flawlessly. He didn't need to think of an answer because he already knew what to say, he loved me in a way that was unclear before. His love was genuine and he had left a mark on me as well, he showed me what it was to love unconditionally.

note// What do you think her feelings are for Niall?!