eight

Flashback

"Look I need to run to the library." I packed my things quickly while Astrid was still lollygagging about.

"You in the library?" Astrid snorted as a joke when I glared back at her.

"Yes the library! Some of us care about our education." I fired back watching from the corner of my eyes as Astrid pretended to be shot in the chest with my comment. Holding her hand over her heart she opened her mouth again.

"Ouch that hurt!" She spoke sarcastically removing her hands away from her chest and walking with me out of the studio. "You know not all of us are naturally smart like you."

"That's why there is the library." I informed her pushing the door open into the busy streets of New York City. The newly fresh autumn air hitting my face to cool down my sweaty body.

"Well what are you doing later?" Astrid asked me while walking next to me. I had talk pick up my speed since I didn't want to be late for my tutoring. I had become more than confused with all this making of our own equations math homework. Work had piled up in my academics putting more pressure on me to do well in that rather than my dance. I was on scholarship for my dance and I wanted to stand out from the others but found it difficult with my position next to other amazing dancers as well as less time due to my academics.

"I don't know I need to get caught up on math before the test." I admitted almost halfway to the library.

"Are you going to be a boring whore your whole life?" She asked me causing a smirk and small chuckle to erupt from the comment.

"Are you going to be a dumb whore with chlamydia your whole life?" I questioned back laughing at myself for coming up with a great come back.

"Hey! You know I don't have chlamydia!" Astrid pointed her finger at me once we stopped outside the library that held studious kids.

"I don't know A, do I?" I giggled watching her face arch a brow towards me.

"You're such an annoying bitch, why are we friends again?" Astrid huffed fixing a loose blonde strand that had strayed to her vision.

"Because even though we take things too far secretly we like it. Plus you love me way too much to unfriend me." I gave her a smile and opened up the library door about to enter before she told me that I was a geek and to have fun with all the snot nosed boys. Rolling my eyes at her comment I entered the somewhat quiet library where the most noise being made was the librarian shushing a student every 5.7 seconds.

Searching an open table my eyes scanned trying to find a table that wasn't already occupied. Groaning at my options with my backpack slung over my back I analyzed each of my options. In the far corner of the library there were the dumb as rocks and higher then kite kids rolling joints. Deciding that, that was a no I saw across from them were the kids that I hadn't heard a word out of since they were admitted. These kids always gave me the creeps because they were unbelievably quiet to the point that they were even sometimes emotionless. Adjacent to them were the nerds who were obsessed with the library's 3D printer, obsessed is even underappreciating their love of this machine. When I say they love it I mean, they make everything they own with this thing. After that there were your kids who more or less where there to piss off the strict librarian because they had nothing else to do, or they do but choose not to do it.

Looking one last time my eyes landed on a table that sat one boy. The back of his head was covered in long brown curls down to his shoulders. Sitting alone hunched over doing his work I assumed, deciding on the table I walked up behind him and sat directly across from him. His shirt was purple with black floral designs that I found interesting in the least. I assumed he was one of those artsy boys who were borderline hipster. His hand moved furiously across the page in his notebook filling up each line before moving to the next on in graceful motions.