Chapter 13 - Neighbours

Evelyn's POV              

This is bad, very bad. Fine...I admit I got what I wanted I found the pack of wolves...but I wasn't really expecting to find them all...at once. I pulled my hand out to the side, signalling Aaron to stop. Before he could open his mouth to question my actions, I brought my index finger to my lips and gently tapped my ear...telling him to be quiet and listen. I saw his eyes widen and a look of pure terror enveloped his features. He knows. I pointed behind me; it's time to go NOW.      

Aaron nodded and slowly turned on his heels. I closed my eyes and took a last sniff, just to calculate exactly how far we were apart from the mutts and by the...smell of things...there were 10 werewolves and we are about 600 metres away from them, which is quite bad...considering they have super hearing.      

I silently urged Aaron to run and when I was about to take off along with him, I heard movement. Crap, they heard us. I huffed in frustration and said ''run, now. Go home. I'll distract them''.      

''No'', Aaron replied simply, but his eyes betrayed him.      

''Go Aaron, I promise I'll be fine'' I hissed.      

He studied me carefully and he hesitated. ''Fine'' he sighed and with that he took off, his shape was only a blur.      

I scanned the direction of the wolves before running the opposite way. I didn't go near Aaron's trail because otherwise they'd split up and search for him too. I ran as fast as I could, it's not because I am scared...hell no, never that. It was because I needed to be the distraction. I slowed down a tinsy bit to make sure that the mongrels were following me, and when I heard their heavy paws thundering against the forest ground, I started to pick up speed again.      

Ok think Evelyn, think. I can't keep running away from them, I'd have go back to Aaron sometime soon, knowing him...he'd come back to look for me. I decided to stop running and face them. I am not a coward. Plus I'm not afraid of the 'Big Bad Wolf' but in this case...the wolves.      

I leapt onto a high tree and sat on a branch, not the best posture I know...it's not exactly a....a...what do you call it....friendly I'm-just-a-visitor-so-I-come-in-peace stance. But hey, since when am I friendly? I closed my eyes momentarily to absorb the situation that I now faced. Several seconds later, I heard and smelt werewolves.      

I sighed and opened my eyes; in front of me on the ground were 2 wolves. One was small and grey, judging by its size...possibly a she-wolf. The mutt standing next to her was growling very loudly, it had russet-brown fur and these dark, incredibly dark eyes. It was also much bigger than the female, and seemed to be projecting a sense of power...he is an Alpha.      

I lifted my hands up in the air as a sign of surrender....yeah right; I only wanted to meet all of the wolves before I killed them. I swiftly jumped down from the tree with a smirk plastered on my face. ''Who's up for a little game?'' I asked playfully but only got two angry snarls in response.      

The two werewolves were tense and their eyes never left me. I rolled my eyes and said ''Seriously? I'm getting bored. Are you gonna kill me...cause I want to jump onto that part already,” I said humourlessly.      

As soon as I spoke, more wolves emerged from the thick vegetation, growling and hissing at me. The first was a huge jet black furred one, clearly a male, plus...an Alpha perhaps. Wait that's weird, two Alphas? Then I found myself to be circled by all of the mutts, ten of them in total. Big crowd in my opinion.      

I licked my lips and said ''So what now?'' Instantly three of them jumped onto me. Sharp canines and claws were the only things I could see. I dodged the first attack by the russet-brown wolf and punched the other one in the chest. The black pup went flying, rewarding me with shock and surprise from the other members. I grabbed the throat of a short, thick furred mutt but before I could put it out of its misery, I was tackled down by the small she-wolf and a sandy coloured mutt.