{17}

Naruto

I sat on the sofa as the girl I was supposed to be in love with dabbed my knuckles with tweezers and a cotton ball with some kind of medicine that stung so much. Her eyebrows crinkled in determination as she concentrated on treating me.

I can't help but wonder if I'm sick or not. Before, I'd kill for the opportunity for Sakura to be treating me like she is right now but right now, I just want this treatment to end ASAP so I could leave this awkward atmosphere. It doesn't look like it's awkward for her though which is an issue. Why am I the only one being all awkward here anyway? It's not right!

"Almost done," she suddenly whispered pulling out the white bandage. "Hold your hand straight out."

I obeyed, the quicker the better. I looked to the side studying the small little living room of Sakura's shared dorm with Hinata. Everything was so organized, unlike mines and Sasuke's. I'm pretty sure we had a whole bunch of ramen cups laying all over the place. My fault actually. Sasuke never eats instant ramen.

"Finished," Sakura said, joyfully. "Don't go punching more walls you idiot. If you're frustrated talk it out instead of beating a inanimate object."

I grabbed my bandage hand, "I'll try to remember."

She turned her attention to the first aid kit she had out on the coffee table and continued speaking, "Why did you punch a brick wall in the first place?"

When I didn't answer her right away, she raised her eyebrows, "What? Had a fight with Hinata?" she teased.

"I guess," I sighed. "It's more of I'm sick of her trust issues, that's all."

"And this is why you're considered stupid," Sakura said, closing the first aid kit.

"Hey," I narrowed my eyes.

"Think about it for a second, Naruto," she turned in her seat so she was facing me. "For years Hinata's been bullied because she has different from normal eyes and because she's smart. Suddenly, she has the soccer captain of the university ask to be her boyfriend and more people begin talking to her, it's going to take time for her to adjust. So whatever you did to her was unfair."

I opened my mouth but the pinkette jumped in, "Don't for a second say that she is the one at fault. Hinata needs to adjust and you need to be patient. Something that you tend to struggle with and if you truly do care for her, you'd not only be patient with her but you'd help her understand that there are people out there that appreciate her brain and think her eyes are indeed beautiful."

That made me shut up.

"People she can actually trust and call them her friends," Sakura gave me a sad smile. "She's been so strong for her entire life. It's time she lowers her guard, don't you think?"

"Is that why you along with Temari and Ino are being nice to her?"

Her emerald eyes suddenly dulled over, "That and we were trying to protect her."

"Protect her? From what?"

"From crumbling altogether," she suddenly shot a look at me, an accusing one to be exact. "Especially when those that she actually think she can trust decides it's okay to play with her feelings."

I don't like where this is going.

A key in a lock stopped me from replying. Seconds later, the front door opened and in walked, no, limped Hinata. The way she walked, it pained me to watch. Her unique eyes were glued to the floor as she turned to lock the door so she didn't notice the two of us.

Until Sakura suddenly yelled, "Hinata! You look like you were hit by a bus!"

That was when she looked up. Shock flooded her eyes when she looked from me to Sakura. A wave of guilt swam through my body as I watched my girlfriend force a smile to her face.