Chapter Thirty Nine- Inhibitions

Three weeks passed. Naomi decided it was best to be alone for the time being as she spent each day at Erwin's just waiting to be outed in front of all her colleagues and boss. But she was surprised to find Declan to only give her the cold shoulder. Similar to a scorned middle school kid, he just whispered behind her back and often rolled his eyes if her eyes happened to wander towards his direction. She decided until she knew where she stood, to stay away from Logan as he only seemed to make her lose focus. During their time apart, Naomi focused on her photos as Logan looked for employment on the edge of the city. Each day, he would call her and whisper of their sensual and intimate moments, resulting in them both battling to run to each other. But they made a deal that they would keep a distance until things blew over. That time finally came. Three months...ninety days as spring was peaking slowly into Naomi's windows. A knock came at her door as she was about to leave. Opening it, she found Erwin to be in her doorway. Allowing him in, she kicked a jacket on the floor, underneath the couch before he placed his hand out, stating he would not be present long.

"You are my most promising pupil I have ever had. Although you don't like it, you can model, you can take the shots, set them, develop, orchestrate...you are a man like my dream for a pupil...but it has come to my attention that there is a conflict of interest..."

"Oh?"

"Logan..." Her gut began to feel as if it had slowly begun twisting as his gaze did not waver from her. Not even after recovering vision after a blink. "It has come to my attention that you two had an affair before you were hired onto my time, and possibly during?"

Her gaze shot to the ground.

"I know it was unprofessional-"

"I don't care that you two hooked up in my supply room or got each other off on the weekends...what I care about is my son. And you made him responsible. I have never in my life seen him so happy...but then he told me that he knew of this affair. He spoke that it happened while you were engaged to him...is that true?"

"I'm not proud of my actions-"

"A simple answer will do..."

"Yes. I was with Logan while engaged to Declan..."

Erwin slowly began to nod before clasping his hands together. "As I said, my son is what matters...but I have had a lengthy career and am growing tired of the drama and one day I want someone to take over Erwin Studios and carry my image. And in all my years of doing this, you are the only person I have come across that can do such a thing while making it fresh. So I have come to propose a deal..."

"Am I fired?"

"Depending on if you take the deal...or not..."

She nodded, awaiting the circumstances. After Erwin left, she found herself stuck in a position of following her passion and her heart. Each time she thought of Logan, her thighs would clench and she would crave his forceful kiss and heavy breathing on her neck or in her ear. But thinking of her future, she thought of the success that she strived so long to achieve. Erwin gave her the weekend to think it over as she went to a bar down the street and sat on the edge, with her cheek on her palm.

"Aren't you underage?" A voice called from behind her as she saw Logan was behind her. She turned before he sat next to her, placing his eyes on the outskirts of her body then returning to her eyes, then lips as she talked.

"I really need a drink..."

"Tough day?"

Chugging the last bit of alcohol she had in her glass, she slammed it down before he glared in concern. "What is it?" He asked with wide eyes and a concerned hand on her knee. She moved it away before turning towards him.

"Erwin came to my apartment today."

"Really?"

"Yep. He told me that I made his son a better person and that without me, his son was an alcoholic druggie with nothing more than a rap sheet in his future-one Erwin couldn't bail him from...."

"And?"

"And he told me if I signed a personal contract stating I would never come of fifty feet of you again and have no direct contact, I can have my job, keep this scandal quiet, and..."

"And?!" He pressed her as she kept her gaze on her glass that the bartender newly filled to the top.

"And I would rekindle the engagement to Declan or my career as a photographer was finished...Four years of school....eighty-thousand dollars...two scholarships...no social life...for this...just to end up sitting at a bar across from the man who I gave it all up for."

"So you aren't taking the deal?"

"I have no idea. I don't want to...but thinking of never being able to work again..."

"So you are thinking about accepting...." He took a sip of his drink before turning with his knees facing the bar.

"What would you do?"

"That's not a fair question Naomi..."

"Why?"

"Because for you, I would end he world. Take each star from the sky and give it to you no matter the pain it caused or the time it took. I would give everything without thinking twice because despite our distance and partners in between...I will always love you...but..."

"But?"

"But you have worked your entire educational career for this possibility and I want you to be happy." He said with a shaky tone before calming it with a sip. "I want you to wake up with your piano in front of the window although you can't play and your fireplace with the custom poetry designed bricks to warm you, with little feet echoing as you try to get your work done...all the things you've told me...I want you to have."

"So you're letting me go?"

"Since I met you, I have tried to think what I can compare you to....and I finally realized it..." She remained quiet, as he spoke. "You're a dove. Not because it is a clique bird reference but because you are pure and surrounded by vultures. You promise hope and faith and love...and you were caged by those around you when you were younger and now..." He paused. "I just want you to be free."

"And you're gonna let me go? No strings?"

He turned towards her fully, placing his hand on her cheek. "Not a day will go by that I don't think of kissing you. But I would rather have your heart light and be apart from you than have you wake up and resent me for what could have been." He moved from the chair, fetching his jacket from the back of the chair before moving behind her.

"Dammit Naomi....you aren't an easy one to get over." He kissed her cheek before moving to the doors of the bar, into the cold New York night.

She quickly chased after him, finding him to get into a taxi. "Wait." She called out as he turned. Tears were sliding down his cheeks as she took him by his tie and kissed him. When pulling away, he placed his hands on her hips.

"What if for one night...we were back in high school?" He smirked before pulling her into the car, not wasting a single second of being with her.